Franklin & Marshall College Franklin & Marshall College

    • Old Main
    • Sign
    • Can't make it to campus?

Bereavement Leave Policy


Immediately upon hire, f ull - time members of the College faculty and professional staff are eligible for paid bereavement leave as outlined below.

Leave Periods

  • Death of a Spouse or Same-sex Partner, or Child

A full - time member of the faculty or professional staff i s eligible to take up to 5 days of paid leave upon the death of the employee's spouse or same - sex domestic partner, or child (includin g step child, foster child, child placed for adoption, or child of the employee's same - sex domestic partner).

A full - time College employee may take up to an additional 5 days of paid leave within two months of the spouse’s, same - sex domestic partner’s, o r child’s death, for a total of 10 paid days. T hese additional 5 days away from work should be scheduled in consultation with the supervisor whenever practical. The additional 5 days do not need to be taken consecutively.

  • Death of a Parent, In-law, Sibling, or Grandchild -- A full - time employee may take up to 5 days of paid leave upon the death of his/her mother, father, step or foster parent, mother - in - law, father - in - law, son - in - law, daughter - in - law, sibling, or grandchild.

  • Death of Other Relative -- If an employee's relative other than those mentioned above d ies, the employee may take 1 paid day of leave.


Additional Leave

The College may grant up to 2 additional paid days off work depending upon the employee's circumstances, including the travel distan ce to the funeral, the required involvement of the employee in the funeral arrangements, and other extenuating factors. When such extenuating circumstances exist, the employee should request up to 2 additional paid days off work through his/her supervisor or the Assistant Director or Director, Human Resources.

Paid days off work for bereavement leave are to be taken at the time of the death or the funeral except as noted above.

If additional leave time is needed, the employee may request to use earned vac ation days (non - exempt employees may also request to use personal days). An unpaid leave of absence may be granted, at the discretion of the College. Requests for unpaid leave are to be made through the supervisor and the Assistant Director or Director, Human Resources.

Last Update: March 14, 2013