Enrollment in Independent Study requires that a professor agree to sponsor you, and the Department must agree that your record supports the probability of a successful independent study experience. Discuss the possibility of Independent Study with faculty members well in advance of the semester you would like to begin. Be sure to finalize plans for your independent study during preregistration for your target semester.
- Speak to the Associate Chair of the Department about the possibility of doing independent study.
- Speak to students who are doing independent study.
- Examine research opportunities described in Faculty web pages, on posters in the hallways of LSPB, and in the page listing examples of previous undergraduate research projects for ideas about potential research directions.
- Speak to several professors about doing independent study in their laboratories.
- Finally, choose a professor with whom you wish to do independent study and ask him/her to sponsor you. You must have express permission from your research advisor by the pre-registration period the semester you intend to begin.
- Obtain a special registration form here or from the Registrar's Office. This form should include a brief description of your research project and must be completed during the first two weeks of the semester you begin your study.