Franklin & Marshall College Franklin & Marshall College

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1:  Can I use my Grant for a study abroad program, including one sponsored by F&M?
A:  No, but you can propose an additional project as a component of the study abroad program.  Marshall Fellow money can be used to pay for something that significantly enriches the experience of a credit-bearing course or program, not as a way to pay for a credit-bearing course or program.

Q2:  Can I use my Grant for programs that develop particular skills, such as a language enhancement program, field program, a music camp, or a social science or scientific methodology program? 
A:  There are two scenarios in which a Marshall Grant can be used for these type of programs: (1) If these programs do not receive F&M credit or fulfill a graduation requirement or a requirement of the major then you can use Marshall money; or (2)  If these programs receive F&M credit or fulfill a major or College requirement you will need to propose an additional project as a component of that program that substantially enriches the experience in order to use Marshall money.

Q3:  Can I use an Enrichment grant for preparing for a project, such as travelling to gather data?
A:  Yes

Q4:  Can I use a Grant for participation or attendance at professional meetings?
A:  Yes.

Q5:  Can I use a Grant for purchase of equipment, computers, or software? 
A:  Yes, but you need to explain how the equipment is essential to accomplishing your academic goals.  Normally, policies on college-purchases of equipment apply.  Equipment, computers, or software remain the property of the college.

Q6:  Can I apply to the Committee on Grants? 
A:  Yes.  The Committee on Grants provides funding to research proposals.  A Marshall Fellow will normally submit research proposals for either an Academic Enrichment or a CPS grant.  A Marshall Fellow can choose to submit a research proposal to COG or can choose to supplement a Marshall Fellow grant with a COG grant.

Q7:  Can a grant be used to pay for summer school for credit? 
A: Yes, if you are conducting a substantial research project in addition to summer school and enrollment in summer school is necessary for conduct of the project.

Q8:  What is expected of me when I complete the project? 
A:  You are expected to share your experience or findings with peers (e.g., research fair, House forum, etc.).  We also ask that you find ways to offer assistance after you graduate to future Marshall Fellows.

Q9:  What are some examples of successful Marshall projects completed in the Public Service track? 
A:  A good place to look is the Community and Public Service (CPS) Marshall Fellows web page.