The original Higbee School, erected in 1902, stood on a site bounded by Dauphin, Juniata, Rockland, and South Duke streets. To meet the educational needs of the expanding population of the southeast, on behalf of the School District of Lancaster the Redevelopment Authority condemned a predominantly residential 11 acre site between South Duke, Rockland, North, and Dauphin streets as the site of the new elementary school, subsequently named in honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. The project forced the relocation of more than 100 families.
Photograph of the original Higbee School (top), Sanborn maps of the two sites (middle), and detail of the Adams-Musser Towns scale model (bottom). Photographs courtesy, Bureau of Planning, City of Lancaster, Sanborn maps courtesy, Shadek-Fackenthal Library, Franklin & Marshall College.