Franklin & Marshall College Franklin & Marshall College

David P. Schuyler

Biesecker Gymnasium

  • images-departments-ams-biesecker-gif-jpg
Although initial sketch plans were prepared by William C. Prichett, Biesecker Gymnasium was undoubtedly the work of campus architect Charles Z. Klauder. Local Lancaster builder Herman Wohlsen was in charge of construction. Erected in 1926, Biesecker replaced the old gymnasium, which was converted into the Campus House and today is known as Distler Commons. The building bears the name of Fred W. Biesecker, who was vice president of the Board of Trustees and who contributed $75,000 toward the cost of erecting the new gym. The building, which complements Dietz Santee and Franklin Meyran Hall, included an archway designed by Klauder which connected the gym and Fackenthal Laboratories.

 


Central Heating Plant

  • images-departments-ams-boilerhousesketch-jpg
As early as 1916 President H. H. Apple foresaw that the increasing number of buildings on campus necessitated construction of a single heating plant, and as the new campus was taking shape in the 1920s Charles Z. Klauder designed the boiler house, which was erected by Lancaster builder Herman Wohlsen in 1924. Strikingly similar to other heating plants Klauder designed on other campuses, the Central Heating Plant features a smokestack with distinctive limestone details and a radial brick design. The plant, now called Facilities and Operations, includes a garage and phone services.

 


Diagnothian Hall

  • images-departments-ams-diagnothian-jpg
Diagnothian's cornerstone was laid on July 20, 1856, and construction was completed in 1857, the same year the building was dedicated. The Diagnothian Literary Society built the Hall, with the help of $1000 donation and $1000 loan from the Board of Trustees. The Literary Society also received money from the government after the Civil War for services provided to the troops who were housed on campus. The building is constructed of red brick and is done in the Gothic Revival style. The majority of academic Gothic Revival occurred mid-century, and Diagnothian and Goethian were designed and built during the first period of Gothic Revival in America; the second period of Gothic Revival, between 1890 and 1930, focused on churches and stores. Diagnothian Hall has label mold above the windows and door. Currently, the Music Department occupies the building, but its previous uses include housing a canteen and the Y.M.C.A. as well as a post office.

 


Dietz Santee Hall

  • images-departments-ams-dietzsanteehall-jpg
Designed in Georgian colonial style, Dietz Santee Hall is constructed of brick. The building is three stories with dormer windows on the third floor. Above the two side entrance doors are fanlights with false window pane arrangement and Doric pilasters which accent the sides of the doors. In addition to Indiana limestone trimming, the building boasts of copper drain pipes and a slate roof. Another interesting architectural detail of Dietz Santee and its companion residence hall, Franklin Meyran, are the recessed arches which cover the first and second floor windows. Herman Wohlsen headed the construction team and Charles Z. Klauder served as architect. President Henry Harbaugh Apple felt that the construction of Dietz Santee, as well as Franklin Meyran, was very important for the College. In honor of her father, Charles Santee and Jacob Y. Dietz, her fiance, both members of the Board of Trustees, Mary E. Santee funded the building of Dietz Santee with a $105,000 donation. Both Dietz Santee and Franklin Meyran Halls were constructed in order to give new life to the campus: "Here the life of the college will enter, the fellowship of students and their college spirit will be developed. It will be the beating heart of the new Franklin and Marshall, destined to give it life and strength during the coming years" (The Heart of the Campus p. 5).

 


Distler Commons

  • images-departments-ams-distleroldcamphouse-jpg
Formerly known as the Old Gym and Campus House, Distler is designed in the English Tudor style. The building has a slate roof with snow eagles, timber details at the top, and dormer windows on the third floor. In accordance with traditional Tudor style, the windows have four centered heads with a sash. The second story windows have paned transoms. The building, which was originally used as a gymnasium complete with a bowling alley and indoor running track, cost $7000 to build. In the 1920s, a basketball court was added to the facility. Later uses for the building include: a student center, an ROTC mess hall, office space for Security, Financial Aid, and the Classics Department. Currently, the building houses the Personnel, Business, and Registrar's offices.

 


East Hall

  • images-departments-ams-easthall-jpg
East Hall was also known as the Academy Building. Designed in the Italianate style by Philadelphia architect Samuel Sloan, the most well-known architect to contribute to F&M's campus, and constructed by Cyrus Y. Mays, the facility was erected in 1872 at a cost of $15,877.14. Construction funds at this point in the College's history were short, and in order for East Hall, as well as Academy Building and Harbaugh Hall to be built, President Nevin gave $2000 of his salary to diffuse costs. Before its razing in April 1977, this three story brick building served as a dormitory, infirmary, apartments for married students, and Phi Kappa Tau's headquarters. The building stood where Spalding Plaza is located today.

 


Fackenthal Laboratories

  • images-departments-ams-faclabs-gif-jpg
The Fackenthal Laboratories are constructed of dark red brick, and the building accents include Indiana limestone trim and a dark green Vermont slate roof. D.S. Warfel broke ground on December 19, 1928, and the labs were completed and dedicated nearly one year later on November 1, 1929. The building was named in honor of Dr. B.F. Fackenthal, Jr., a member and President of the Board of Trustees who donated $200,000 towards the facility's construction. The building originally housed the chemistry and biology departments. The final cost of the initial building was $250,000. In addition to the building, a brick arcade, which connected Fackenthal labs and Biesecker Gymnasium, was designed by Charles Z. Klauder.

 


Franklin Meyran Hall

  • images-departments-ams-franklinmeyranhall-jpg
This building was funded by two major contributors. The building was named Franklin, in honor of a group of Lancaster community members who contributed money and Franklin College, the original school in Lancaster. The second half of the residence hall's name, Meyran, is derived from L.A. Meyran, a member of the Board of Trustees who gave money towards the construction. Identical to Dietz Santee, the building was constructed in Georgian colonial style and made of brick with Indiana limestone trimming accents. The building is three stories with dormer windows on the third floor. Above the two side entrance doors are fanlights with false window pane arrangement, and Doric pilasters surround the two side doors. The copper pipes and slate roof match Dietz Santee Hall as well as the recessed arches. Under the watchful eye of President Apple, Charles Z. Klauder served as architect and Herman Wohlsen headed construction. In the late 1970s, the building housed various academic departments; however, the building returned to its original purpose as a residence hall in 1985.

 


Goethean Hall

  • images-departments-ams-goethianhall-jpg
Goethean Hall, the building flanking the left side of Old Main, is identical to Diagnothian. Goethean is constructed of red brick in the Gothic Revival style with label mold. Its cornerstone was laid on July 20, 1856, and the building was dedicated on July 28, 1857. After completion of Goethian Hall, the literary societies requested, for both Diagnothian and Goethean Halls "that the sites that shall be designated and appropriated by the Building Committee to the use of the Literary Societies of the College, shall be held and used by these Societies exclusively for their use, so long as they remain the Societies of the College, subject to the control of the Trustees of the College" (Klein, p. 76). However, during the Civil War, troops used the building to house infirmed soldiers. During the 1970s, the building was used as an art gallery. Currently, the building houses the Government Department. Old Main, Goethean Hall, and Diagnothian Hall stand on the highest point in Lancaster City.

 


Harbaugh Hall

  • images-departments-ams-harbaughhall-jpg
During the 1871 Commencement, the cornerstone of Harbaugh Hall was laid. The three story brick building, which cost $15,000 to erect, originally served as a dormitory for F&M students; however, it later housed both F&M and Lancaster Theological Seminary students. "This building became the center of college life and student pranks of the whole period. When "old grads" gathered on the College campus, the main theme of their discussion was the fun they had had and the tricks they played in Harbaugh Hall" (Klein, p. 103) The College razed the building on April 30, 1900. In 1900, Stahr Hall was built on the land which Harbaugh Hall previously had occupied.

 


Hartman Hall

  • images-departments-ams-hartmanaerial-jpg
Constructed in the early 1900s, this building, which was called the Academy Building, was originally used by the F&M Academy. After headmaster Edwin M. Hartman's retirement in 1943, the College decided to close the academy, and it was used to house a Navy V-12 unit. On June 29, 1946, on Alumni Day, the Academy Building was rededicated in honor of Dr. Hartman, who had also served as President Stahr's administrative and financial assistant. In 1974, after years of use as a dormitory and dining hall, the building was razed. The building sat on the area of campus now known as Hartman Green, which separates the Steinman College Center, Appel Infirmary, Schnader Residence Hall, and Fackenthal Laboratories.

 


Hensel Hall

  • images-departments-ams-henselhall-jpg
Designed by Charles Z. Klauder, Hensel Hall is constructed in Georgian colonial style with Sayre-Fischer red tapestry brick. The building details include Palladian windows, cornice and dentil, and a slate roof. The front of Hensel features a post and lintel outlined with dentils and Ionic limestone pilasters. In the center of the pediment, paterae accented swags a flank a Rococo bullseye window. A recessed arch surrounds the center door. The cornerstone was laid on November 13, 1925, and Hensel Hall was dedicated on February 4, 1927. It cost $650,000 and was named in honor of W.U. Hensel, a member and President of the Board of Trustees. Mr. Hensel, who served as president of the Board of Trustees for one year (1914), argued that education should strive to make certain, "that every alumnus not only shall be tinctured, but saturated with a sound philosophy and correct ideas of life, and out out into the world a better citizen and patriot for having tarried in the College until his beard is grown; and that every diploma I am asked to sign shall...[be] somewhat fitted for the responsibilities of a citizen" (Klein, p. 169).

 


Keiper Liberal Arts Building

  • images-departments-ams-keiper-jpg
  • images-departments-ams-keiperdedication-jpg
In June 1932, Caroline S. Keiper funded the construction of a liberal arts building to be named in honor of her husband, Lanius B. Keiper, a member of the Board of Trustees. The building was dedicated to Keiper during the Sesquicentennial in 1937. Constructed in Georgian colonial style and red brick, the three story building has a slate roof and third story dormers. The two side doors have narrow flanking windows on either side of the door as well as a post and lintel in Doric style. Above the side door there is an oculi. Above the ornate broken pediment style door which faces the Academic Quad, the words "Liberal Arts" are inscribed. The building boasts of heavy moulding. Keiper has always served to house classrooms and department offices.

 


Old Main

  • images-departments-ams-oldmain-jpg
  • images-departments-ams-oldmainfence-jpg
Formerly known as College Building and Recitation Hall, Old Main sits on College Hill. It is done in the Gothic revival style, has two spires, and is made of red brick. The building, which is the centerpoint of the three original buildings on campus, has a slate roof with snow eagles and ornate label mould. Two slender turrets stand on each side of the front door, and the building's spires have a finial. Haden Patrick Smith served as contractor and Dixon, Balburnie, and Dixon, an architectural firm in Baltimore, Maryland, designed Old Main. Dr. Bernard C. Wolff laid the cornerstone on July 24, 1854. Old Main was dedicated nearly two years later on May 16, 1856. It cost $25,136.52 1/2 to construct. Over the years, the building has served many purposes, including a lecture hall and barracks during World War I. Currently, the building serves to house Administrative offices, such as the President's office, as well as the Harold T. Miller Lecture and Recital Hall, and the Publications Office. This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

 


Shadek-Fackenthal Library

  • images-departments-ams-shadek-jpg
Funding for Fackenthal Library resulted from a hefty $250,000 donation from Dr. Benjamin Franklin Fackenthal, President of the Board of Trustees. "For six months I have been looking for a man to build a library. Now I have found it. It is I!" (Klein, p. 30). The building's cornerstone was laid on July 28, 1937. Constructed in the Colonial style, it was designed by W.H. Lee of Philadelphia. In 1983, the library was renamed the Shadek-Fackenthal Library due to a grant from Arthur Shadek, member of the Board of Trustees, which enabled renovations and an addition. A large Greek Revival front porch with pediment and Doric columns stretches across the front of the library. On the pediment, two floral swags complement F&M's seal with the profiles of Benjamin Franklin and John Marshall.

 


Scholl Observatory

  • images-departments-ams-schollob-jpg
The Scholl Observatory was funded by Mrs. James M. Hood who donated a $10,000 grant towards construction of the building. The observatory was named in honor of her father, Daniel Scholl. The building cost $2,000 and the remainder of her gift was used to subsidize the purchase of equipment. Her gift was announced on March 18, 1884; the building was dedicated on June 16, 1886. In 1925, the entire building was moved 200 yards. After additional money was spent on additional construction and repairs, the observatory was razed in 1966. In the photo on the left, the Central Heating Plant's smokestack can be seen behind the observatory.

 


Stager Hall

  • images-departments-ams-stahrproposed-jpg
  • images-departments-ams-stahr-jpg

 

Formerly known as the Science Building, Administration Building and Stahr Hall, Stager Hall was designed by C. Emlem Urban. It was constructed in 1900, and dedicated on June 11, 1902. In 1988, the building was renamed Stager Hall for Henry Stager. The building holds classroom and departmental office space. Designed in the Colonial style, it has cornice and dentil detail, a vertical string course supported by limestone, and two large Palladian windows with keystone accents. The first and second floor windows on the sides of the building are placed in recessed arches, and the front of the building, facing College Avenue, has a large window surrounded by a Doric post and lintel with pilasters. The picture on the left shows the original architectural design for Stahr Hall which was not used in its entirety.

 


Watts dePeyster Library

  • images-departments-ams-wattsdep-jpg
Prior to the construction of Fackenthal Library, the Watts dePeyster Library served as the College's only library. Built in the late 1890s, the Watts dePeyster Library was funded by a grant from Brevet-Major General John Watts de Peyster, an honorary member of the College Literary Societies, who also donated books to the College. "In the spring of 1896 General dePeyster's interest in the College had grown so strong that through the efforts of A.H. Rothermel, Esq., an alumnus and a personal friend, and Professor J.B. Kieffer, the College librarian, he was impelled to donate a library building, under certain circumstances - one of which was the election of William McKinley" (Klein, p. 127). The building was named after the grandfathers of the donor, John dePeyster. M. O'Connor served as architect and George H. Oster as builder.