Franklin & Marshall College Franklin & Marshall College

FAQ about student employment

How many hours work per week may I work on campus over the winter break?

You may work on campus up to 40 hours per week (full-time) over the winter break.  Full-time employment during the winter potentially allows you to earn at a faster rate during the winter than you would in the fall or spring.  Note, however, that your earnings during the winter break are counted toward your overall academic year (fall and spring) work-study or work award allowance.


Do I need to complete a new student employment contract if I plan to work on campus over the winter?

If you are currently employed for the fall semester in the same department that has hired you to continue working through the winter, your supervisor needs to notify  of the dates which you will be working through the break.  It is likely that you will not need to complete a new contract in this case.  If, however, you are beginning employment in the winter and do not already have an employment contract on file, you will need to complete a new contract for the winter.  If you are already contracted for the spring only, but later decide to work the winter beforehand, you will need to complete a new contract for the winter.


If I work on campus over the winter break, will it count toward my work-study or work award earnings allowance?

Yes.  If you choose to work over the winter break on campus in the work-study or work award program, your earnings will count toward your work-study or work award allowance.


Will taxes be deducted from my paycheck?

Yes. Federal, local, and state taxes will be deducted from your paycheck. FICA will also be deducted during the summer employment period.


Do I have to work on campus?

The decision to work on campus is a family decision. You should know that F&M does not replace the work study/work award funds with any other form of financial aid. If you decline your work study/work award your first year it will not jeopardize a work study/work award offer in subsequent years.


How does a student become eligible for student employment?

In order to be awarded Federal Work Study, a student must apply for federal financial aid by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.  This form is available online at  At the time the Office of Financial Aid receives the processed FAFSA, they will determine whether or not the student is eligible for federal assistance.

Without prior approval from the Office of Financial Aid, only students who are eligible for Federal Work Study may contract for a job prior to, and for the first two weeks of classes in the Fall.  This is known as the "Priority Period," where priority in job placement is given to students awarded Federal Work Study.

Students wishing to participate in the College Work Award Program are required to wait through two weeks of classes in the Fall before contracting and beginning work.

Exceptions are made on a case-by case basis depending on the technical expertise required for the position.


What about International students?

Some International students are given a College Work Award when awarded financial aid. These students are paid as non-Federal Work Study students, but may be hired to work in any employment position on campus.

International students who did not apply for financial aid must wait through the "Priority Period" (the period at the beginning of the school year where students who have been awarded College Work Award have priority to seek employment) before they may contract and begin work on campus.


May House Advisors (HA)s be employed in other positions on campus?

Some House Advisors (HA)s will be awarded Federal Work Study because they are eligible for federal funds. These students are allowed to work ten hours per week in addition to their RA positions.


How does a student find a job on campus?

The Office of Financial Aid maintains a bulletin board on line at

First-year students receiving Federal Work Study are provided with this information in May after enrolling. They have the ability to contact offices during the summer months to obtain a position on campus. 

An Authorization to Hire is placed in the campus box prior to the beginning of classes. After the receipt of the Authorization to Hire, they may pick up the employment contract at the Office of Financial Aid.

Upperclass students receiving Federal Work Study have the opportunity to contract at the end of each academic year for a coming year.  Each student is alerted by email that the process is in effect, and they may pick up the Employment Contract at the Office of Financial Aid. 

First-year and upperclass students may only contract for one position on campus during the first two weeks of classes.


What special forms does a student have to complete?

Prior to a student beginning employment on campus they are responsible to complete the Student Employment Authorization (SEA) form "contract."

First time employment requires that students complete an I-9 and W-4 form with Student Payroll in the Business Office.  Students are required to present original identification documents such as a driver's license, passport, or social security card.  For a list of other forms of identification that are acceptable, .

If you are a returning student employee, you need not complete these forms again.*

*Exception: If you claimed exempt from federal withholding on your W-4, you must re-file each year by February 15.

Students will not be paid without having these forms completed.


How many hours per week may a student work?

Students are limited to part-time employment which equals 10 hours per week during full-time enrollment periods. During Winter Break, Summer Break, and the week of Spring Break students may work up to 40 hours per week.

* Working less than 10 hours per week is up to you and your parents.  Remember that you are being paid by the hour.  Reducing your hours reduces your earnings. 


What is the "20-HOUR-RULE?"

Students choosing employment in any capacity during the academic year at Franklin & Marshall College are awarded ten (10) hours per week in either need-based Federal Work Study (FWS), or non-need based College Work Award (WAD). Some students choose to work over the awarded ten (10) hours per week, but may only work up to twenty (20) hours per week. The College must enforce the 20-hour limit. Separate guidelines apply during full Break periods, as described above.

Effective immediately the College establishes guidelines for the reporting of breaches in the 20-Hour-Rule:

  • After the first infraction of the 20-Hour-Rule the student will be placed on four weeks of unpaid leave from his/her position. After return from leave, the student will remain limited to the previously contracted hours per week for the remainder of the semester. The Director of Financial Aid, will inform the department's employment supervisor of the suspension and any required course of action. After department notification, the Director will meet with the student and advise him/her of the infraction and consequence.

  • After the second infraction of the 20-Hour-Rule the student will be placed on a second four-week period of unpaid leave from his/her position. After return from leave, the student will remain limited to the previously contracted hours per week for the remainder of the semester. The Director of Financial Aid, will inform the department's work-study supervisor of the suspension and the required course of action. Domestic candidates for degree will be required to meet with the Director for a second review of the 20-Hour-Rule. International candidates for degree will be required to meet with the Director of the Office of International Students, for review of the 20-Hour-Rule and the associated INS policy concerning domestic employment.

  • After a third infraction of the 20-Hour-Rule the student will be permanently relieved of duties in his/her position, and removed from student employment consideration in future years. The Director of Financial Aid will inform the department's work-study supervisor regarding the student's termination. The Director will contrat the student in writing regarding his/her relief from work opportunities at the College. The Office of International Students, will contact an international candidate reaching a third infraction in writing concerning position and eligibility termination. Due to INS regulations concerning the 20-Hour-Rule issue, international candidates for degree will experience consequences far more severe than position termination. 


How does a student get paid?

Before a student is paid through Student Payroll, they must complete an I-9 and a W-4 form. Both forms are required by the Federal government and are available in the Student Payroll Office on Race Avenue.

Timesheets are provided to supervisors each year.  They are completed by the supervisor, signed by both the supervisor and the student, and returned by the department secretary to the Student Payroll Office.

In order to be processed for payment, timesheets must be delivered by published due dates to the Payroll Office.  The timesheet must be completed in its entirety, or it will be returned to the supervisor. The schedule for payroll can be obtained from the Payroll Office.

Students may not deliver timesheets to the payroll office.


How much can a student earn?

All students working in the Federal Work Study or College Work Option program are paid $7.25/hour.

When does a student receive payment for employment?

If a student completes the proper paperwork and turns in their timesheet on time, a paycheck will be mailed to their campus mailbox on the dates indicated in the Payroll schedule.

If the student is not on campus on payday, particularly during vacation period, the student should make arrangements to have their paycheck sent home by providing a forwarding address to the Student Payroll Office on Race Avenue.


What if a student needs money before payday?

A student may request a Loy Loan from the Business Office, Race Avenue - Monday through Friday from 12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m. A student may borrow up to $400 with a due date of thirty (30) days from the date of borrowing. If a student does not repay this loan within the thirty (30) days given, the amount borrowed plus a $25 late fee will be added to their tuition account.

What are a student's job responsibilities?

Specific job functions and training will be provided by the supervisor, however, it is the student's responsibility and to their benefit to do the job to, or beyond, expectation.  Students may wish to include their work experience at Franklin & Marshall on their resume, so they should approach their jobs at the College as they would in any other paid position off-campus.  Department supervisors may also choose to complete a Student Employee Performance Review, which may be retained in their department for future reference.

The expectations of every student in the Student Employment Program are below:

  • Students are expected to contract for only one position during the priority period (the period in early September when students who have been awarded Federal Work Study have priority for finding on-campus employment).
  • Students are expected to meet with your supervisor for a description of your job duties.
  • Students are expected to be aware of their standard working hours.
  • Students are expected to discuss with their supervisor their performance standards and the priorities of the department (i.e., timely completion of assignments, accuracy, etc.).
  • Students are expected to review regular deadlines and job or project expectations.
  • Students are expected to treat confidential information about the College, faculty, staff or students as a serious responsibility.  A student should never release this type of privileged information without permission.
  • Students are expected to review with their supervisor their expectations regarding attendance and punctuality and policies regarding absence from work.
  • Students are expected to have explained to them the function and goals of the department and how their work will support the overall departmental objectives.
  • Students are expected to be trained in specific job tasks as necessary and learn how to access information and resources needed to do their job effectively.
  • Students are expected to be evaluated on their job performance by their supervisor.
  • Students are expected to evaluate their own job performance and report to their supervisor any problems they may have in their ability to perform their job effectively.

What about attendance, illness, or time off?

Students should discuss their classes and work schedule with the supervisor prior to the beginning of each term.  Both supervisor and student must agree on when the student will be working.

If there are conflicts with the student's class schedule during the semester, the student and supervisor should be able to work out a satisfactory arrangement.  Excessive absenteeism or tardiness may result in the termination of a student's employment.

Students are responsible for reporting any illness to the supervisor prior to the student's scheduled work period.  Students will not be paid for sick or vacation time.

What if a student wants to change jobs?

Students are expected to fulfill the employment obligations for the contracted period of time. If a student decides to withdraw from the employment program, or if the student decides to change jobs, the student is responsible to inform the supervisor two weeks before the contract terminates.

Before leaving the work program or changing jobs, the student must obtain an Employment Termination form from the supervisor or the Office of Financial Aid. The student and supervisor must complete this form and send it to the Office of Financial Aid.

If a student plans to change jobs, the student will be given a new "contract" once the Employment Termination form is received. The student will not be paid for hours worked on their new job until the new "contract" is received and processed.


Can a student terminate, or be terminated, from a job?

There are times when a student will not be comfortable with their job due to conflicts with the supervisor, other workers, or with the job. If this happens, the student should speak with the supervisor as soon as possible. If, after repeated attempts, the student and supervisor cannot reach a comfort level, termination may be appropriate.

Students may be terminated from their position immediately in cases of serious acts, such as theft, harassments, etc.

Fraud and/or forgery with regard to information provided on the student's timesheet will result in dismissal from the F&M Employment Program.


Summer Employment?

Students who plan to attend summer school at Franklin & Marshall College may be awarded Federal Work Study as part of their summer financial aid.  Students attending full-time summer classes may work no more than 20 hours per week.

Students not attending summer school may work on campus in part-time and full-time positions. Job opportunities will be available on the bulletin boards website in late April or early May.

All summer employment must be cleared through the Office of Financial Aid before you begin work.  An F&M work "contract" is required.  If a student has not previously worked on campus, the student must complete the I-9 and W-4 forms with the Student Payroll Office, Race Avenue. Students not attending summer classes may work up to 40 hours per week.

Students may work more than one job on campus in the summer as long as their total hours do not exceed forty (40 ) hours per week.


Can I use my earnings to assist in paying my College bill?

However, your paycheck will not be automatically applied to reduce your bill. If you decide to use all or a portion of your earnings towards your college account you will need to pay these monies to your account directly.


With what College policies should I become familiar?

The College’s Sexual Harassment Policy:

The College’s Anti-Harassment Policy:

The College’s Equal Opportunity Statement: