Franklin & Marshall College Franklin & Marshall College

Student Employment FAQ

When does Fall student employment begin?

Student employment for Fall begins the last Sunday of August.  Eligible students who may return to campus early to begin working in the Summer just prior to the Fall start date will need to have their supervisor complete and submit both a Summer Student Employment Authorization Form (SEAF) for the days prior to the last Sunday in August as well as a SEAF for the Fall semester as well.

What is the difference between Federal Work Study (FWS) and College Work Option (CWO)?

Federal Work Study (FWS) and College Work Option (CWO) are simply designated separate accounts used to pay students who work in College Funded Jobs.

Federal Work Study (FWS) is the campus-based student work program for U.S. citizen students whose work on campus is supported with need-based Federal aid dollars, for which a student must qualify according to financial need. 

College Work Option (CWO) is the campus based student work program for students whose payment is supported entirely by college funds.  Students who are paid via College Work Option include ALL non-work aided students or workaided non-U.S. citizens.

The difference between FWS and CWO is merely a tracking of what payroll account a student is paid.  The same policies and restrictions apply to FWS students as they do to CWO students. 

Students who are paid through Department Funded Jobs may work up to 20 hours per week with no more than 10 hours/week being worked across all other College Funded Jobs (FWS or CWO) the student may also be working in that week.

Students who work in College Funded Jobs (FWS and CWO) are paid at $7.25/hour, or Federal Minimum Wage.  Students who work in Department Funded Jobs (jobs where wages are paid via the department's own private budget) may be paid at least $7.25/hour, or Federal Minimum Wage, but may be hired at a higher hourly wage, set and determined by the department, as prescribed by the department's private budget.

What breaks allow for full-time work up to 40 hours per week?

Student employees may work up to 40 hours per week during Summer Break, Winter Break, and qualified days of Spring Break ().  Fall break and Thanksgiving break (small 'b') do NOT qualify as "extended Breaks" for full-time work.  Students who work during Fall break or Thanksgiving break are to follow the same hour allowances as the regular Fall semester.

If I work on campus over the Winter Break, will it count toward my Federal Work Study or College Work Option earnings allowance as defined in my financial aid package?

Yes.  If you choose to work over the Winter Break on campus in your College Funded Federal Work Study (FWS) or College Work Option (CWO) job, your earnings will count toward your Federal Work Study or College Work Option allowance that was noted in your financial aid package.

For Faculty/Professional Staff Supervisors:  Do I need to submit a separateStudent Employment Authorization Form (SEAF) for my students who will be working over the Winter Break?  Even if they are already working during the Fall?

Yes.  Students who work over the Winter Break will need to have their supervisor submit online a new, separate online Student Employment Authorization Form (SEAF) for the Winter Break, even if they are already working in the same department for the Fall. 

How many hours per week may students work on campus over the Winter Break?

Students may work on campus up to 40 hours per week (full-time) over the Winter Break.  Full-time employment during the Winter Break potentially allows students to earn at a faster rate during the Winter than they would in the Fall or Spring.  Note, however, that earnings during the Winter Break are counted toward your overall academic year (Fall and Spring) Federal Work Study (FWS) or College Work Option (CWO) award allowance.

Will taxes be deducted from my paycheck?

Yes.  Federal, local, and state taxes will be deducted from your paycheck.  FICA (Federal Insurance Contributions Act) tax will also be deducted during the Summer Break employment period.   

Do I have to work on campus?

No.  The decision to work on campus is a student's choice.  If a student chooses not to work or is unable to find campus employment, Franklin & Marshall does not replace a student's Federal Work Study or College Work Option funds with any other form of financial aid.  If a student declines Federal Work Study (FWS) or College Work Option (CWO) in their first year it will NOT jeopardize their being packaged with FWS or CWO in subsequent years. 

How does a student become eligible for student employment?

All matriculated Franklin & Marshall students with full-time status are eligible for student employment on campus.  All student employees are responsible for knowing and adhering to the policies and procedures of student employment.

What about international (non U.S. citizen) students and student employment on campus?

International (non U.S. citizen) students with demonstrated need may be awared College Work Option in their financial aid package. These students are paid as College Work Option students in College Funded Jobs on campus or paid via private sources in Department Funded Jobs, and may be hired to work in any employment position on campus.  Please review the steps toward employment for international students written by the Office of International Programs.

May House Advisors (HA)s be employed in other positions on campus?

House Advisors (HA)s are allowed to work up to ten (10) hours per week in addition to all of their HA duties and positions.  This ten (10) hours would include either College Funded Jobs or Department Funded Jobs.  

Note:  Work Aided HAs may acquire one other non-HA job as early as the first day of Fall employment, but they may only acquire one non-HA job prior to October 1.  

Note:  Non-work aided HAs may NOT be hired for any College Funded Job or Department Funded Job until after October 1; unless notified by the Student Employment Group (SEG).

How does a student find a job on campus?

Jobs in need of immediate filling will be posted by Faculty/Professional Staff (FPS) on F&M Connects.  Only F&M Community members will have access to these listings.  A cumulative listing of all departments and jobs on campus are on our website under On-Campus Employers

First-year and returning students may only contract for one position on campus up until October 1.

How many hours per week may a student work?

Students may work up to 10 hours per week across all College Funded Jobs.  Summer Break, Winter Break, and qualified days of the week of Spring Break are considered full-time enrollment periods, and students may work up to 40 hours per week during Summer Break, Winter  Break, and qualified days of Spring Break week.

Typically, your award letter from the Office of Financial Aid will list a Federal Work Study or College Work Option amount.  These awards coincide with College Funded Jobs.  This allows students to work between 8 - 10 hours per week during the Fall and Spring semester employment periods.  Working fewer than the allowed hours per week is the choice of the student, presuming the student's employer is able to offer 10 hours per week of work.  Students should remember that they are being paid by the hour; therefore, of course, reducing hours worked per week reduces earnings.

How does a student get paid?

Before a student is paid through Student Payroll, the student must complete a Federal I-9 form and a Federal W-4 form. Both forms are required by the Federal government and are available in the Student Payroll Office on Race Avenue.

Timesheets are submitted electronically online via InsideF&M.  The timesheet submission process and the daily electronic tracking of hours worked process will be explained to students by their Faculty/Professional Staff supervisor.  Questions may also be directed to the Student Payroll Office headed by .

In order to be processed for payment, electronic timesheets must be submitted online via Inside F&M by published due dates to the Payroll Office.  The schedule for payroll can be obtained from the Payroll Office.

How much money is a student allowed to earn?

All students are paid $7.25/hour for up to 8 - 10 hours/week for 15 weeks/semester for 2 semesters/academic year, totaling between $1,900 and $2,175 for the academic year.

When does a student receive payment for employment?

If a student completes a submits their electronic timesheets to InsideF&M on time, a paycheck will be mailed to their campus mailbox every two weeks on the dates indicated in the Payroll schedule.

Most students select direct deposit to receive payment.

If a student does not choose direct deposit and instead chooses a paper paycheck and is not on campus on payday, particularly during vacation period, the student should make arrangements to have their paycheck sent home by providing a forwarding address to the Student Payroll Office on Race Avenue.

What are a student's job responsibilities?

Specific job functions and training will be provided to student employees by their Facuty/Professional Staff (FPS) supervisor.  However, it is the student's responsibility, as it is to their benefit, to do the job to, or beyond, expectation.  Students may wish to include their work experience at Franklin & Marshall on their resumes or CVs, so they should approach their jobs at the College with the same level of committment and responsibility as they would in any other paid position, on campus or off campus.  Department supervisors may also choose to complete a Student Employee Performance Review, which may be retained in their department for future reference.

The expectations of every student in the Student Employment Program are below:

  • Students are expected to be hired for only one position up until October 1. 
  • Students are expected to meet with their supervisor for a description of job duties.
  • Students are expected to be aware of the number of hours they have worked each week, at any point in time.
  • Students are expected to track their hours daily, as a 'timeclock' function in InsideF&M.
  • Students are expected to discuss with their supervisor their performance standards and the priorities of the department (i.e., timely completion of assignments, accuracy, etc.).
  • Students are expected to review regular deadlines and job or project expectations.
  • Students are expected to treat confidential information about the College, faculty, staff or students as a serious responsibility.  A student should never release this type of privileged information without permission.
  • Students are expected to review with their supervisor their expectations regarding attendance and punctuality and policies regarding absence from work.
  • Students are expected to have explained to them the function and goals of the department and how their work will support the overall departmental objectives.
  • Students are expected to be trained in specific job tasks as necessary and learn how to access information and resources needed to do their job effectively.
  • Students are expected to be evaluated on their job performance by their supervisor.
  • Students are expected to evaluate their own job performance and report to their supervisor any problems they may have in their ability to perform their job effectively.

What about attendance, illness, or time off?

Students should discuss their classes and work schedule with the supervisor prior to the beginning of each term.  Both supervisor and student must agree on when the student will be working.

If there are conflicts with the student's class schedule during the semester, the student and supervisor should be able to work out a satisfactory arrangement.  Excessive absenteeism or tardiness will result in the termination of a student's employment at the discretion of the department Faculty/Professional Staff (FPS) supervisor.

Students are responsible for reporting any illness to their FPS supervisor prior to the student's scheduled work period.  Students will not be paid for sick or vacation time.

What if a student wants to change jobs?

Students are expected to fulfill the employment obligations for the contracted period of time. If a student decides to withdraw from the employment program, or if the student decides to change jobs, the student is responsible to inform the supervisor two weeks before the contract terminates.  If that is not possible, of course, then the student must inform their supervisor as soon as the student is aware of a need to cancel their employment.

Can a student terminate, or be terminated, from a job?

There are times when a student will not be comfortable with their job due to conflicts with the supervisor, other workers, or with the job. If this happens, the student should speak with the supervisor as soon as possible. If, after repeated attempts, the student and supervisor cannot reach a comfort level, termination may be appropriate.

Students may be terminated from their position immediately in cases of serious acts, such as theft, harassments, etc.

Students may also be terminated from their employment at the discretion of their Faculty/Professional Staff (FPS) supervisor, per the expectations of each individual department.  This can included, but is not limited to, repeated tardiness, repeated episodes of calling off, excessive absenteeism, not for showing up for work repeatedly, or not showing up (and not calling ahead of time) for key and pre-scheduled meetings, events, programs, etc. held by the department. 

Fraud and/or forgery with regard to information provided on the student's timesheet will result in dismissal from the F&M Student Employment Program.

Summer Employment?

Students attending full-time summer classes may work no more than 20 hours per week.

Students not attending Summer school may work on campus in part-time and full-time positions up to 40 hours/week.

All Summer Break employment must be processed by the Office of Financial Aid before you begin work by submission of a Student Employment Authorization From (SEAF) by the Faculty/Professional Staff (FPS) Supervisor.  If a student has not previously worked on campus, he/she must complete the I-9 and W-4 forms with the Student Payroll Office, Race Avenue.

Students may work more than one job on campus in the summer as long as their total hours do not exceed forty (40 ) hours per week.

Can I use my earnings to assist in paying my College bill?

Yes.  However, your paycheck will not be automatically applied to reduce your bill.  If you decide to use all or a portion of your earnings towards your college account you will need to pay these monies to your account directly.

With what College policies should I become familiar?

You may visit the Human Resources website for a listing of all College employment-related policies.

How will the recent Federal Minimum Wage increase affect student employee wages?

Federal Minimum wage was raised on July 24, 2009 to $7.25/hour which replaces the former PA Minimum wage of $7.15/hour.   Therefore, $7.25/hour is the base wage rate for all student employees on campus.  All College Funded Jobs, regardless of the time of year, will pay $7.25/hour.  Students who work in Department Funded Jobs (jobs where wages are paid entirely from a department's private budget) may be paid $7.25/hour or higher.

May students work on campus in the summer prior to their first-year?

No.  Students may not begin working in the summer prior to their first-year enrollment.  Eligible entering first-year students may begin working as early as the first day of the Fall employment period (the last Sunday of August) at the earliest.