F&M Advisors "Guide" Program
Rise Partnerships Program is from 9:00am - 5:30pm.
Please Register No Later Than December 18th, 2013 by 5pm
Please register so we can plan accordingly for food, materials, and group planning.
9:00am - 12noon: Booth-Ferris South Room
Be a Guide Session: Volunteer advisors play a critical role in developing young leaders and ensuring the success of student organizations. Providing advisors with the best training and resources can have a dramatic impact on members and on the organization. But they need more than policies, demographics, and student development theory.
Guide is an interactive skills-training experience that provides advisors with the tools they need to excel in the position: coaching skills to resolve complicated scenarios, practical solutions to challenging issues that come up every day, and simple techniques to advance student learning.
Advisors leave the program with:
1. Clear expectations for their role
2. Strategies to address five common topics
3. Understanding of the forces that influence undergraduate students
4. A framework for guiding students through difficult issues
5. Well-rehearsed skills in dealing with student challenges
12noon - 1:30pm Lunch: SCC Atrium
1:30pm - 5:30pm: Booth-Ferris South Room
Coaching Skills Session: When a new member is dealing with a difficult situation – academic struggles, over-involvement, fitting in, or living up to expectations – how you respond makes all the difference. Will you drop the hammer when they screw up? Will you ignore the problem and let them figure it out on their own? Will you solve the problem for them? Or will you provide the coaching they need to work through it? As an advisor, the newest members look to you for direction. Are you prepared to provide it?
- See more at: http://www.risepartnerships.com/coaching-skills-training/#sthash.Gxp2yGfi.dpuf
Learn how to help people:
1. Recover from mistakes
2. Deal with academic setbacks
3. Live up to expectations
4. Manage involvement, organization, and commitments
5. And more…