In this section of the Blackboard @ F&M website we will post known issues with Blackboard and the current level of resolution and workarounds. If you are having difficulty performing a task in Blackboard, check the Known Issues list. If the issue does not appear on the list, please contact the Franklin and Marshall College Blackboard Administrator at ().
Contacting the Blackboard Administrator
Issue: Formating issues when cutting and pasting from MS Word to Blackboard
Cause: Incompatibility when adding Word and html code into Blackboard
You may use one of these workarounds.
1. Paste the content into TextEdit or Notepad first. Copy the content from TextEdit or Notepad then paste into the Blackboard text box.
2. Before pasting content from MS Word into Blackboard, the Blackboard Text Box Editor should be turned OFF.
After pasting, click Submit to complete. You may then edit the item to format the content.
Issue: Users are unable to print Blackboard PDF files from Safari 6.0 on Mac OS X 10.7.4 (Lion)
Cause: Safari 6.0 on Mac OS X 10.7.4 (Lion) is not a Blackboard compatible/certified browser
Use a compatible/certified browser. Click here for a list of compatible/certified browsers.
Issue: Faculty is unable to upload a file to Blackboard.
Cause: Occurs when the course file management permissions are not enabled.
1. Open the course
2. Navigate to the Control Panel under Course Management
3. Click on Files
4. Click on Course ID. e.g. tfaculty.ITS101
5. The Files page will load
6. Click on the drop-down menu next to the Course ID at the top of the page
7. Click on Permissions. The Manage Permission page will load
8. Click on Add Course User List
9. In section 2, select the Instructor role
10. In section 3, select all the permissions
11. Click Submit to complete
Issue: The Grade Center is frozen. The following notice will be displayed.
Cause: Occurs when the column is not saved correctly.
1. Open Firefox
2. Follow these steps: Grade Center > Manage > Column Organization > change any one column position > Submit.
Issue: Users receive a "Missing Plug-in error" when opening a PDF file
Cause: This error will occur if your browser is missing a PDF Plug-in
This issue has been resolved.
Issue: Users get a blank screen when they click on an YouTube URL in Blackboard.
Set the YouTube URL to open in a new window
Embed the YouTube video
- Find the Video on YouTube
- Clicking the Embed button below the video.
- Click the Use old embed code check box.
- Copy the embed code
- Enter this code in the VTBE in HTML mode.
Use the YouTube Mashup feature
Issue: Users receive the following error message when using SafeAssignments or DirectSubmit.
"Sorry, we do not think you are logged in to SafeAssign. Your session may have timed out. If you have received this message in error, please contact your system administrator."
Solution: Enable cookies for the browser you are using.
- Click on Safari on the menu
- Click on Preferences
- Click on the Security tab and allow cookies
- Close your browser
- Click on Firefox on the menu
- Click on Preferences
- Click on the Privacy tab and allow cookies
- Close your browse
Issue: Some student are not able to view some Journal Entries
Solution: Blackboard Inc. has identified a software defect and will be working to resolve this issue
Issue: Some faculty may get an error when attempting to create a weighted column in the Grade Center
Solution: Switch your Internet browser to Firefox
Issue: Blackboard does not allow file name for assignments with spaces and special characters.
Solution: When naming MS Office (Word, Excel) files for Blackboard upload, please follow these guidelines:
- Do not use special characters like #, &, or @
- Do not use spaces
- You may use the underscore _