In these pages, we have compiled the resources that will support you as you pursue an international or off-campus study program. The advising staff is here to support you throughout the process, so contact us with questions at any time.
Follow these steps to begin your journey:
1. Attend Starting Points: Attending this group meeting is your first step to going off-campus. We recommend you start to plan at least a year in advance of your term away.
2. Outline Your Goals and Research Programs: Think about your goals and assess programs based on your interests, four-year academic plan, timeline, and budget. Seek advice from faculty advisers, other students, and off-campus study program staff.
3. Discuss Options with Your Off-Campus Study Adviser: You can meet with your adviser in the Office of International Programs as many times as necessary to talk about program choice, application procedures and other considerations you need to make. Once you have narrowed down your choices, your adviser will enter them through myDiplomat for approval by your faculty adviser. To schedule an appointment with an off-campus study adviser, please call the Office of International Programs at 717-358-7187.
4. Make an Academic Plan: Declare your major if you haven't done so already. Consult faculty advisers and department chairs in your intended major or minor areas about the types of courses you are able to take off-campus. Be sure you understand the required courses for a major or minor and make a plan for accomplishing them. Know how many courses your program requires you to take. Visit the Academic section of the website for more information regarding F&M academic policies for off-campus study.
5. Consider Finances: Read the Franklin & Marshall financial policies for off-campus study. Financial aid from Franklin & Marshall can travel with you during the academic year. Make sure you understand how your particular financial aid package will work during the time you are away. If you are considering a summer program, or if you do not receive aid, explore the scholarship information available on the F&M Off-Campus Study website.
6. Apply: Students must complete an online F&M application form in addition to any application materials required by their chosen program provider. While program application deadllines vary, F&M requires all students to submit their F&M application by October 20 (for off-campus study during the next spring semester) or by March 20 (for off-campus study during the next summer, fall or academic year). For more information about application requirements, please visit the Applications section of the website.