1987 Ph. D. in English. The Pennsylvania State University "First-Person Narratives as Autobiography: The Case of Charlotte Brontë"
1981 M. A. in English. Miranda House College, University of Delhi
1979 B. A. Honors in English. Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi
• “Whose India? Identity and the Indian Artist in a Global Market.” Plenary at the 2nd Annual Postcolonial Anglophone Literatures Conference. Tucuman, Argentina. November 2007.
• Roundtable discussion. “The Future of Postcolonial Studies.” Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. August 2004. • “Making Indian Literature.” Lecture at Oxford Brookes University, Publishing Seminar Series. May 2004. • Guest lecturer on Conrad at Jesus and Mary College, New Delhi. January 2003.
• “Marketing Indian Fiction.” University of Maryland Modernist Symposium. October 2002.
• Poetry Reading at the Poetry at Noon series at the Library of Congress. October 2002.
• "Who Reads Indian Fiction?" Universities of Oviedo and of Vigo, Spain. March 2000.
• "The Colonial and Postcolonial Novel." Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi University. January 2000.
• "Rereading Conrad's Lord Jim." Gargi College, Delhi University. January 2000.