PhD in Philosophy, University of Notre Dame, 1991
MA in Philosophy, University of Notre Dame, 1988
BA in Philosophy, Franklin and Marshall College, 1985
Philosophy of Religion, Early Modern Philosophy
A complete CV can be found here.
Grants & Awards
- 2010: Nissan Fellow, Oriel College, Oxford University
- 2008-2010: Ian Ramsey Center, Oxford University for the project: “Scientific Accounts of the Origin of Religion” with Jeffrey Schloss (Westmont College), $89,000
- 2008: Bradley R. Dewey Award for Outstanding Scholarship, Franklin and Marhsall College
- 2004: Sabbatical Fellowship, American Philosophical Society
- 2003-4: Alvin Plantinga Fellow, Center for Philosophy of Religion, University of Notre Dame
- 1998: National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship for College Teachers
- 1997-8: Fellow, Institute for Research in the Humanities, University of Wisconsin Madison
- On Predestination and Election New Haven: Yale University Press, 2011
- Divine Evil?: The Character of the God of the Hebrew Bible (edited with Michael Rea and Michael Bergmann). Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2010
- Nature Red in Tooth and Claw: Theism and the Problem of Animal SufferingOxford: Oxford University Press. 2008.
- Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion, with Michael Rea, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008
- “Looking Past vs. Overlooking Cognitive-Evolutionary Accounts of Religion: A Response to N. Barrett” with Jeffrey Schloss and Justin Barrett, Journal of the AAR. Forthcoming
- “Explaining and Explaining Away Religious Belief: Van Til’s Criticism of Barrett,” with Jeffrey Schloss, Theology and Science 8(1). 17-23
- Schloss, Jeffrey P. & Michael J. Murray. 2009. You Can’t Always Get What You Want: Evolution and True Beliefs. Behavioral and Brain Sciences32(06). 533-534
- “Costly Signalling Theories of Religion,” With Lyn Moore Journal of Cognition and Culture 9 (2009) 225–245.
- “The Evolution of Religion: Non-Adaptationist Accounts” in Science and Religion in Dialogue. Melville Stewart, editor. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell. 2010. Also to appear in Chinese in a volume with the same title, Melville Stewart and Fu Youde, editors. Beijing: Peking University Press, 2010
- “Science and Religion in Constructive Engagement,” in Analytic Theology: New Essays in Theological Method. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Michael Rea and Oliver Crisp, editors, 2009.
- “Theodicy” in Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Religion. Thomas Flint and Michael Rea, editors. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.