If you hear shots or see weapons or if you receive an alert for an active shooter, follow the "Run, Hide, Survive" emergency procedure:
If there is an escape path, attempt to evacuate.
· Evacuate whether others agree to or not.
· Leave your belongings behind.
· Help others escape if possible.
· Call 911 when you are safe.
If evacuation is not possible, find a place to hide.
· Lock and/or blockade the door.
· Turn off the lights.
· Silence your cell phone.
· Remain very quiet.
· Hide behind large objects out of the shooter's view (your hiding place should provide protection if shots are fired in your direction, but not trap or restrict your options for movement).
As a last resort, and only if your life is in danger:
· Attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
· Act with physical aggression.
· Improvise weapons.
· Commit to your actions.
When law enforcement personnel arrive, remain calm and follow instructions. It's important to keep your hands visible at all times and avoid pointing or yelling. Help for the injured will soon be on its way.