If you are inside during an earthquake:
- Take cover under a table or desk. or stand in a doorway
- In areas where cover is not available, kneel at the base of an interior wall, facing the wall and with head down and covered by arms
- Turn your body away from windows and mirrors
- Be alert for falling objects and stay away from filing cabinets, bookcases, overhead fixtures, and electrical equipment.
If you are outside during and earthquake:
- Move to an open area away from buildings, trees and power lines
- If unable to move to an open area, watch for falling objects
If you are in an automobile during an earthquake:
- Stop your vehicle in the nearest open area
- Stay in the vehicle until the shaking stops
After an earthquake:
- Be aware of the possibility of aftershocks.
- If possible and it is safe to do so, evacuate the building as soon as the shaking has ceased.
- Do not move injured persons unless they are in obvious immediate danger (from fire, building collapse, etc.)
- Open doors carefully and proceed with caution
- Watch for falling objects.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not use matches or lighters.
- Use the telephones for emergency service calls only.