Chemicals, leaking gas, faulty boilers, or falling aircraft are some possible causes of life-threatening explosions.
If you hear or are in the areas of an explosion:
- Call Public Safety at 717-291-3939 or dial 911
- Be prepared for possible further explosions
- Crawl under a table or desk
- Stay away from windows, mirrors, filing cabinets, bookcases, overhead fixtures, and electrical equipment
- Do not move seriously injured persons unless they are in obvious immediate danger (of fire, building collapse, etc.)
- Before opening a door, first feel the door for heat
• If a door is warm, do not open the door
• If a door is cool, open the door carefully and proceed with extreme caution
- Watch for falling objects
- Do not use elevators
- Accompany and assist persons with disabilities
- Do not use matches or lighters
- Use the telephones for emergency service calls only.
- If the fire alarm sounds, evacuate the building