Response to Fire or Suspected Fire
- If a burning odor or smoke is present, pull a fire alarm to activate the fire alarm system.
- If you are inside a room and the door is closed, feel the door before you open it.
- If it is hot, do not open the door. Stuff towels or blankets at the bottom of the door. Go to the window to signal for help.
- If it is cool, use caution in opening the door.
- If you can help control the fire without personal danger and have received training, take action with available fire extinguisher. If not, leave the area.
- Never allow the fire to come between you and an exit. Leave the building, checking as you leave to make sure everyone has left the immediate area. Close doors behind you to confine the fire.
- Once you have evacuated the building, call Public Safety at 717-291-3939
report the location of the fire and the material burning if known,
- Remain at the scene in a safe location away from fire and report this information to emergency service personnel as they arrive.
Response to Audible Fire Alarms
- If the audible fire alarm sounds, evacuate the building.
- If you can do so safely, shut off any gas in your area.
- Leave immediately; do not delay to locate personal items
- Make sure that all members of your area respond to the alarm.
- Evacuate the area; as you exit, quickly check nearby restrooms, copier rooms, storage rooms, etc..
- Use the nearest stairway. Do not use elevators.
- Accompany and assist persons with disabilities.
- Shut all doors behind you as you go. Closed doors can slow the spread of fire and smoke.
- Evacuate as quickly as possible but in an orderly manner. Do not push or shove.
- Once outside, move at least 100 feet from the building.
- Meet at your assembly area for the Emergency Coordinator to account for all members of your floor or department.
- Return to the building only when given the "all clear" by Public Safety.
Fire Extinguisher training is available to all Franklin & Marshall College students, faculty, and staff at no cost. The Public Safety Office holds classes throughout the year. We encourage you to participate in these training sessions. Contact Public Safety at 717-291-3939 to schedule a training session.