General Population Evacuation
To be prepared for an emergency, at all times, you should:
- Recognize the sound of the evacuation fire alarm.
- Know at least two ways out of the building.
- Know the predetermined meeting location for your group.
- Know your Emergency Coordinator
When you hear the evacuation alarm or are verbally instructed by an appropriate authority to begin evacuating the building:
- Make sure that all individuals in your area hear the alarm and evacuate the area by quickly checking nearby restrooms, copier rooms, storage rooms, etc. as you exit.
- Use the nearest stairway. Do not use the elevator.
- Accompany and assist persons with disabilities.
- Shut all doors behind you as you go. Closed doors can slow the spread of fire, smoke, and water.
- Evacuate as quickly as possible but in an orderly manner. Do not push or shove.
- Once outside, move to your predetermined assembly area or follow the instructions of emergency personnel on the scene. Stay away from building entrances to avoid interfering with emergency personnel or equipment.
- During working hours Emergency Coordinators will direct & assist in the evacuation needs of your building.