R. D. K. Thomas, Rebecca M. Shearman1 , Graham W. Stewart 2
Lancaster, PA 17604-3003, USA
2 Present address: Department of Organismal Biology and Anatomy, University of Chicago, 1027 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
3 Present address: Rose Center for Earth and Space, American Museum of Natural History, 200 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024, USA
This web page carries the data and documentation on which the paper cited above is based. It includes the following items:
1) A file listing the seven-character formula for each skeletal element of each Burgess Shale animal with hard parts, together with quotations and citations of the primary literature, documenting these designations. This file is arranged taxonomically, following the arrangement of the species list in "Fossils of the Burgess Shale", by D. E. G. Briggs, D. H. Erwin and F. J. Collier (1994, Smithsonian Institution Press).
2) A file listing the Burgess Shale taxa, their skeletal hard parts, and the seven-character formula for each one. This is the data base on which the analysis was conducted.
3) A file listing the character pairs that are represented in the seven-character formula, for each skeletal element, with column totals for each possible character-pair. These are the results of the analysis.
4) A file listing the number of occurrences of each character pair (from file 3) in spread-sheet form. These results are presented in this form as Figure 2 of the published paper.
5) A file listing literature references employed in characterizing the skeletal elements of the Burgess Shale taxa.