Franklin & Marshall College Franklin & Marshall College

    • pgleft 320x100 ospgd banner
    • pgmid 320x100 ospgd banner
    • pgright 320x1002 ospgd banner

Employment & Experience Opportunities Always Available to International Students

Campus Employment
  • There are over 50 departments on campus who hire student workers.  F&M allows students to work on campus a maximum of 10 hours per week during school semesters and a maximum of 40 hours per week during summer break, winter break, and spring break.
  • Visit the Office of Financial Aid’s webpage to gain advice on how to obtain an on-campus job and learn about the necessary paperwork that needs to be filled out.   Click here to view the departments that hire and click here to view F&M’s Bulletin Board. 
Volunteer through F&M’s Ware Institute for Civic Engagement
  • Volunteering is a great way to gain relevant experiences related to your interests.  Robust volunteer experiences can also be included as resume entries.
  • The Ware Institute offers a wide variety of local volunteering opportunities in the areas of educational outreach, human rights, public health, & social justice.  Click here to get the Volunteer FAQs and fill out a Volunteer Application form.
Internal Student Research Grants
  • The Office of the Provost - Academic Grants Office administers student research grants awarded by the Committee on Grants (COG) from proposals submitted throughout the academic year.   An example of a popular grant is the Hackman.
  • Click here to view the types of funding available and application instructions.
Campus Leadership & Club Involvement
  • Involvement in special interest clubs (F&M offers over 100), the college house system governments and events, and campus organizations including the writing center, women’s center, and international groups is a great way to gain valuable experience in areas related to your passion.  These experiences can also be added to your resume and are most impactful when you take a leadership role.
  • Click here to view a listing of F&M’s Student Clubs and Organizations.

Off Campus Paid or Unpaid Employment Experiences

*** All International students with F-1 status need to gain employment authorization in order to work a paid or unpaid job or internship off campus.  In order to be eligible for this authorization, students must first have a declared major because F-1 students are required to find paid employment that is directly related to their major. 

When can I declare my major?

Eligibility for major declaration varies by academic department.  Contact the department you are interested in declaring your major through to gain more information.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) with a Paid Internship for Credit (IFC)
  • According to USCIS regulations, some academically related off-campus employment is available to F-1 students who have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for at least nine consecutive months through Curricular Practical training (CPT).  At F&M, F-1 students may only take advantage of CPT if it is in conjunction with an Internship for Credit (IFC).
  • It is imperative that you have a specific offer of employment that is directly related to your major and that the internship be credit bearing. You are prohibited from doing paid or unpaid internships in the United States that are not for credit. Please note that an internship is considered to be paid if any type of stipend or reimbursement for travel or housing is provided, even if you don’t receive a regular wage.  Ignoring these regulations could affect your F-1 status in the United States.
  • Please be aware that part-time or full-time CPT is not deducted from your one year of Optional Practical Training (OPT), which is usually used following graduation. However, if a student works full-time for 12 months or more through CPT, the entire period of potential OPT will be cancelled.
  • Contact Dean Haring if you are interested in utilizing your OPT prior to graduation.  This is only recommended for students who know they will be returning to their home country upon graduation or beginning graduate school shortly.

What process should I follow in order to apply for an Internship for Credit and Curricular Practical Training?

Follow these 4 steps:

  1. Complete your internship for credit application.  Click here to view F&M’s internship for credit application materials.  Once it’s complete, take it to Career Services for review. 
  2. Register for the credit(s) at the Registrar’s Office.
  3. Obtain CPT employment authorization.  See the Office of International Programs website for more details.  
  4. Pay for the credit(s) when you receive the bill from the Business Office.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) – 1 Year Paid Employment After Graduation
  • For each higher level of study you complete (i.e, Bachelor’s, Master’s), you are entitled to one year of full-time work authorization in your major field of study. You do not have to have a job before applying for this benefit. You may fill out the OPT application and submit it up to three months in advance of your graduation date. Please note that these applications must be sent to USCIS via the Texas Lockbox. 
  • Processing of OPT applications usually takes three months so apply early. You may also submit the application after you graduate during your 60-day grace period should your plans to attend graduate school change.

For more information, please visit the Office of International Programs website.