Advising Forms 

The following forms can be requested electronically from the Registrar Form Request on the Registrar’s Office page.

Request a Form Through the Registrar

Request a form

Add/Drop Through Inside F&M

Each semester, there is a short window of a week’s time during which students are able to add and drop courses without record. Students will need their PIN to add and drop classes. After the first two class meetings of the semester, students will need a permission override to add the class. Once the override is entered by the instructor, the student will be able to add the class themselves through Inside F&M. 

Advisor Change Request

Students do not have to fill out this form if they’re declaring a major and switching from their pre-major advisor to their major advisor. However, if they want to change advisors otherwise, they need to fill out an advisor change request form.

Committee on Academic Status (CAS) Petition Form

Students petition the Committee on Academic Status for a variety of reasons, some being: if they want to withdraw from a class after the formal deadline to withdraw has passed; if they want to take a fifth class and their GPA is below 2.50; or if they would like a language studies requirement waiver. CAS petition forms need the signature of the student’s advisor, College House Dean, and professor (if relevant).  The student will need to attach a formal explanation in writing for why they are petitioning for exemption to a rule; and sometimes it is useful to have written support of an advisor, Dean, or faculty member. The CAS meets once a week and will return a decision to the student within the week.

Course Repeat Form

A student might wish to repeat a course if they received a grade of D+ or lower in it (including a grade of NP). See College Catalog for more specific instructions.

Independent Study Application

Students engaging in an independent study with a professor must fill out an application describing the title of their proposed study and their semester’s plan. This form must be signed by the professor and the Chair of the Department in which they’re pursuing the independent study. In order for a student to undertake an independent study for Departmental Honors, it must be approved for 2 semesters. Independent Study Application forms should be submitted by the add a class deadline.

Internship for Credit

Students who wish to pursue an internship for credit should have a GPA of 2.0 or higher and must take steps to complete their application early. See instructions on how to do so.

Joint Studies Form

Joint Studies majors take eight courses from two departments for a total of 16 courses. The student should consult with the Chair of each of the two departments in order to select the eight classes. As well, the student must write a short rationale for why they wish to pursue their particular course of study. Joint majors must be approved by the Associate Dean of the Faculty Amelia Rauser.

Language Studies Requirement Waiver Request 

International students only

Students who speak English as a second language are eligible for a Language Studies Requirement Waiver.

Language Studies Modification Form

If a student qualifies for a modification in the language requirement, they should begin by scheduling an appointment with Dr. Alison Hobbs and/or fill out a disability notification form.

Major/Minor Declaration Form

Sophomores in their spring semester should declare a major. Most Departments have Major/Minor Declaration Forms, but the Registrar’s Office does as well.

Pass/No Pass Option Form

Students may take a total of 6 classes for the P/NP grading option. Students cannot take CNX 1 & 2 for P/NP grades.

Students may take all other Explorations classes for a P/NP grade; however, in the case of the language and science requirements, only one language and one natural science class in the sequence can be taken P/NP (i.e., French 101 can be taken P/NP, but French 102 and 201 will then be taken for letter grades).

Special Studies Form

Students wishing to construct their own major should consult with their advisor. They will need to choose five classes from one discipline and five more divided between two other disciplines, as well as take a one-semester independent study class (SPC 490). They must title their Special Studies and write a rationale for why a Special Studies Major is necessary. Students interested in pursuing this option might want to schedule a meeting with Associate Dean of the Faculty Amelia Rauser, who approves special studies majors. See the course catalog for more information.

Transfer of Credit Request Form

Students who are planning to take a class at another institution should make sure that their class will transfer to F&M for credit. See the transfer of credit policy for more information.

Tutorial/Directed Reading Application

 Tutorials/Directed readings are one-semester courses of study, sometimes alongside a small group of other students.

Withdrawal Form

A student will use this form after the date to withdraw without record has passed. Students have two chances to withdraw from a class with record during their college career, with an extra “free” “W” during the first semester of their first year (this withdrawal will not count towards their two). Students should be mindful to consult their advisor before withdrawing from a class. Students who dip below three classes during a semester will be considered part-time and will need to petition the Committee on Academic Status to continue as a part-time student (they may also lose their housing if they are part-time). International students should make sure to consult their advisor in international programs before making the decision to withdraw from a class. See the course catalog for more information about withdrawing from a class.

Advising Technology 

Degree Works

Degree Works is an academic planning tool for students and academic advisers. There are several benefits to using Degree Works, including GPA calculators and a “What If” tab that allows students to browse different majors to see how courses already completed would meet requirements toward the degree program.

Please view the tutorial videos to learn how to navigate Degree Works, or attend a “Registration Station” event in your College House (see College House calendars for dates).

  • Senior Anne Dolan found the question to her research project while reading the books assigned in Assistant Professor of Government Nina Kollars' 21st Century Security class.

Advising Glossary

What's the Double Dip Rule? What does PIN mean? This helpful glossary explains all the terms you'll need to know during conversations with your academic adviser.

Academic Accommodation

Students with documented disability OR who suspect they may have a learning disability may seek a variety of accommodations designed to ensure equitable opportunity for students with documented disability, mental health condition, and/or chronic health condition. Temporary accommodations can be given for non-permanent conditions (broken arm, concussion). Contact Dr. Alison Hobbs or the Office of Student Accessibility Services.

Academic Appeals (appeals to the Committee on Academic Status)

Appeals for any exception to an academic policy as stated in the Academic Catalogue should be submitted by students after consulting their faculty advisor. Learn more about academic appeals.

Academic Advisory Status

A student will be placed on either semester, cumulative, or semester & cumulative advisory status if they do not achieve a minimum GPA of 2.00 in a semester, cumulatively, or both, respectively. Students on advisory status will be permitted to continue at the College, but they will be required to meet with their College House Dean & Academic Advisor regularly to discuss academic concerns. See the course catalog for a more specific discussion of minimum GPA requirements.

Academic Suspension

Students will be placed on academic suspension if:

  • They fail to meet the minimum cumulative grade point average for the appropriate credits earned (unless in the just completed semester they earned a semester grade point average of 2.40 or higher for at least three course credits);
  • They fail to meet the minimum requirements for class standing; or
  • They fail all courses attempted in any one regular semester.

Students in their first semester at Franklin & Marshall College will generally not be suspended if they pass at least one course.

Suspended students may submit an appeal for a rescission of the suspension to the Committee on Academic Status. See the course catalog for more information.

AP Credit

Incoming students should request that the College Board send their Advanced Placement (AP) score report to The Registrar’s Office for transfer credit. Learn more about managing AP credit.


F&M’s curriculum involves three phases: Introduction (Connections 1 & 2); Exploration (a representative sampling of liberal arts courses, consisting of 1 Arts; 1 Social Science; 1 Humanities; 2 Natural Science; 1 World Perspective/Non-Western; and Language Studies through Intermediate 1 level); and Concentration (a major; double major; joint major; or Special Studies major). Learn more about F&M's curriculum.

Double Dip Rule

Students cannot fulfill two distribution requirements with one class (for instance, ART 105, “Introduction to Asian Art,” cannot count towards both the Art & the World Perspectives requirement). However, a course taken for a distribution requirement may count towards a major (ENG 225, “Intro to Creative Writing will count towards both the Art requirement and also the Creative Writing major).

Grade Appeals

On some occasions, a student might conclude that their final grade does not represent their work. In this case, it is advised that the student meet with their professor to discuss the issue, and, if they are not able to resolve the matter, with the Chair of the professor’s department. If still no resolution can be reached, the process will go to the Provost’s Office. Learn more about grade appeals.

Graduation Application Process

Students who will have fulfilled their graduation requirements by the end of a specific semester must complete an application to graduate. (Log into inside F&M, Click "Academics," then "Student Records/Registration," then "Apply to Graduate.")


A temporary grade of Incomplete (“I”) may be given by a faculty only when a student encounters extenuating experiences beyond the student’s control (not when a student has neglected to do the work). The faculty will then work with the student’s College House Dean to approve the Incomplete, and course work will then be due no later than 30 days past the end of the semester in question.

Leave from F&M

Students might take a semester’s leave from F&M for a number of reasons: their health (Health Leave) or for personal reasons (Personal Leave). In all cases, they must work with their College House Dean to approve their leave. **Note: International students must also consult with the ISS Office**

Major Declaration

Students typically declare their major (or joint major, double major, Special Studies major or minor) in the second semester of their second year. Once they declare, they will usually change their pre-major faculty advisor for an advisor in their major department.

Pass/No Pass

Students may take a total of 6 classes for the P/NP grading option. Students cannot take CNX 1 & 2 for P/NP grades.

Students can take all other Explorations classes for a P/NP grade; however, in the case of the language and science requirements, only one language and one natural science class in the sequence can be taken P/NP (i.e., French 101 can be taken P/NP, but French 102 and 201 will then be taken for letter grades).


Short for “personal identification number,” each student must use their own unique PIN to register for classes. Faculty advisors obtain a list of their advisees’ PINs before pre-registration advising period, and students should make sure to schedule an appointment with their advisor prior to registration in order to get their PIN.

Pre-Registration Advising Period

Pre-Registration Advising Period takes place each year mid-semester for two weeks. During this time, students meet with their academic advisor to discuss their plans for the upcoming semester, their longer-term goals, and any challenges/triumphs they wish to share. At the end of the advising session, advisors give out the student’s unique PIN.

Short-Term Leave

Is appropriate when a student is given a written statement by The Wellness Center attesting to their inability to attend classes and complete assignments; or when any urgent and compelling personal matter forces the student to attend to it (hospitalizations, surgery, funerals). Not appropriate for students needing time to turn in late assignments or to otherwise excuse absences outside of urgent circumstances. Short-term leave is administered by the student’s College House Dean; notice of the student’s short-term leave is issued to their professors and advisor.


A “W” stands for “withdrawal,” indicating on a student’s transcript that the student has withdrawn from a class. A student can withdraw from a class without record for the first two weeks of classes; after that, a student may withdraw from a class for a “W” on the transcript (this does not factor into their GPA).