Transfer Applicant FAQ

Am I considered a transfer or first-year applicant?

At F&M, you are considered a transfer applicant if you will have earned more than 12 semester hours of college credit (commonly referred to as "credits") by your intended enrollment date or if you enrolled as a degree candidate at another institution, even if no college credit was earned.  All other students should apply for first-year admission. 

How do I check my application status?

Once you have successfully submitted the F&M portion of the Common Application, you will receive an email from the Office of Admission with login instructions to the F&M Application Portal. After establishing a username and password, you can login and check the status of pending documents. If you have submitted the Common Application but cannot remember your password, please call the Office of Admission or contact to reset your password. 

How competitive is the transfer process at F&M?

F&M typically receives between 80 and 100 completed transfer applications per year. The number of transfer applications selected for admission varies, depending on factors such as the size and quality of the applicant pool and current campus enrollment. Typically, we enroll 15-20 transfer students each fall and another 4-10 for the spring semester.

Will F&M accept my college credits?

All accepted transfer applicants will receive a transfer credit evaluation.  In order to receive a transfer credit evaluation, an admitted student must submit a list of course descriptions from all previous college-level coursework. These course descriptions can be uploaded directly through the Common Application for Transfers or they can be compiled in a Microsoft Word or Google document and emailed to Course syllabi may also be required to complete the evaluation.

If your decision to apply is contingent upon receiving credit for previous coursework, F&M can provide a tentative credit evaluation for all of your completed and in-progress coursework. For more information about a tentative credit evaluation preview, please email

Note: The official evaluation of completed college coursework is finalized only after all final transcripts have been submitted to the Office of Admission. The College cannot award official college credit for in-progress coursework. The final transcript must be mailed from the previous institution directly to the Franklin & Marshall Office of Admission.

  • Transfer students entering in the fall will not be registered for classes until we have received all final transcripts from the transfer institution(s).
  • For transfer students entering in the spring, all final transcripts must be received by the first day of classes. 


Are official SAT or ACT scores required?

You may choose to submit either SAT I or ACT results.  For students who do not wish to have their test scores considered, please indicate on your application that you wish to be  test optional. 

International transfer students for whom English is not a first language and who do not have three or more years of background or training in English must submit an official SAT I or ACT score report unless the tests are not offered in your country of origin. 

Does F&M offer financial aid to transfer applicants?

For all domestic and international students, F&M meets 100% of institutionally determined financial aid need for all four years. We provide aid solely on the basis of financial need. 

How does F&M award credit for my previous college coursework?

Coursework completed at another accredited college or university may satisfy requirements in most areas of the Franklin & Marshall curriculum (major requirements, exploration/distribution requirements, and electives), depending upon the nature of that coursework. Credit evaluation is based on the number of credit hours earned and the grades earned. A course will be evaluated only if the earned grade is C- or better.

In general, no transfer credit is granted for the following types of courses: technical, physical education, secretarial, engineering, drafting, military science, or any courses from non-regionally accredited institutions. Additionally, most education courses, communications courses, and vocal or instrumental lesson credits are not awarded Franklin & Marshall course credit.

What are the graduation requirements for transfer students?

To qualify for a Franklin & Marshall degree, transfer students must successfully complete at least 16 course credits in residence on our campus. This minimum course requirement is equivalent to four full-time semesters with four courses per semester. Degree candidates must also complete F&M’s Connections & Exploration requirement and meet the requirements for at least one major at the College.

Does F&M accept international transfer applications?

Yes. International applicants must submit complete, original academic credentials as part of the application process. Photocopies or scanned documents may be submitted as unofficial documentation, but admission will not be granted to any applicant with unofficial academic records. The TOEFL or IELTS is required for students whose native language is not English. However, this requirement can be waived if a student has been studying in an English-speaking environment for at least three years.  International transfer students who are transferring from an institution outside of the US are accepted only in the Fall cohort.  

Is a campus visit or interview required?

Campus visits and interviews are not required, but they are recommended. Visiting the campus and having an interview will help you better assess your overall fit at the College, and you are more likely to submit an application that speaks directly to F&M’s values and mission.  We also offer SKYPE interviews with a Transfer Student Ambassador on a limited basis.

Plan a campus visit

Schedule a virtual interview

Do transfer students participate in orientation programs at F&M?

Yes. F&M offers orientation programs specifically geared to transfer students in late August and early January depending on your start date.  Some orientation events, such as academic integrity at F&M, may be shared with first-year incoming students in the Fall. Transfer students are required to participate in orientation activities and are highly encouraged to participate in all events offered to ensure a smooth transition to F&M. 

Is F&M housing available for transfer students?

Yes. F&M is a residential college, and we believe that a rich residential experience is vital to the life of the College. F&M provides housing to transfer students appropriate to their incoming status and age. All transfer students are assigned to a College House community. 

What advising programs are available to transfer students?

Admitted transfer students schedule academic advising sessions prior to arriving on campus. Like all students, once transfer students formally select a major, they are assigned a permanent academic adviser within that department. F&M also offers academic and student support through the College Houses.

Will F&M accept my AP or IB Credits?

F&M will award Advanced Placement credit to a transfer student who scores a 4 or 5 on the exam or a student did not take an equivalent course at the college-level (e.g., completing AP Chemistry in additional to an entry-level chemistry in college). The College must receive an original AP score report from The College Board. AP credit is also designated as an “award” and not a traditional transfer credit. As a result, it does not count toward the 16-course minimum to meet graduation requirements.

International Baccalaureate is more involved. If you earned a score of 30 or more for the IB Diploma, then you will be awarded 8 F&M course credits. If you earned a score below 30 for the IB Diploma, or if you took individual IB courses, then you will be awarded credit only for subjects taken at the Higher Level with a score of 5 or higher. No credit will be awarded before Franklin & Marshall receives the official IB transcript from the International Baccalaureate Organization.