Problem Resolution Policy

Procedures for the Resolution of Employment-Related Issues

Franklin & Marshall encourages members of the faculty and professional staff to bring forward, in good faith, employment-related issues, concerns, and suggestions. Though employees are always free to consult appropriate government agencies with regard to employment-related concerns, the College recommends that employees make every effort to resolve problems within the College, via the procedures described below. This gives the College the opportunity to address problems and enhance the work environment for all.

Additionally, faculty and professional staff are encouraged to discuss, with their manager or a member of Human Resources, any employment-related "rumors" they hear. False rumors can then quickly be dispelled and accurate information provided.

Problem Resolution Procedures

The procedures described below should be followed when an employee has a concern related to the application of a College policy or practice. Additionally, employees may follow the procedures outlined below to address general issues pertaining to their employment or work environment.

Employees are encouraged to promptly initiate constructive discussions of their employment-related concerns so that issues can be resolved in a timely manner. Discussions will be kept confidential to the extent practical, with only those having a business-need-to-know being informed.

It is important, and expected, that issues be discussed in a constructive and professional manner by both the individual who brings forth the concern and the individual listening and responding to the concern.

Managers, department chairs, and other members of the College administration as outlined below are responsible for investigating issues that are brought, in good faith, to their attention. The individual who brings forward the issue is to receive a timely response. Although some issues may not be resolved to the employee’s full satisfaction, the employee is to receive a response and an explanation of the rationale for the response.

If concerns arise regarding a College policy or practice, or one’s employment or work environment, the employee is encouraged to:

  1. Discuss the issue constructively with his/her immediate supervisor or department chair. Members of the professional staff are encouraged to notify their immediate supervisor of any employment-related concerns. Members of the faculty may discuss employment-related concerns with their department chair. The employee should provide as many facts as possible to his/her supervisor or department chair.
  2. If the issue involves the employee's immediate supervisor or department chair, or issues are not resolved at that level, the employee may request a meeting with his/her department manager (professional staff) or the appropriate Associate Dean, Office of the Provost (faculty members).
  3. If concerns remain unresolved, an employee may request a meeting with the Assistant Director or Director, Human Resources.
  4. Employees may skip steps 1 and 2 above and meet with a Human Resources representative if it is not appropriate, based on their particular concern, to meet with a manager within their office or department.
  5. Issues that remain unresolved may be referred by the employee to the Vice President or Provost responsible for his/her office or department.

Safety-related Concerns-- Concerns pertaining to the safety of the work environment may be addressed as outlined in this policy.  Additionally, such concerns should promptly be brought to the attention of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, Facilities and Operations (717-358-4153).

Suspected Financial Wrong-doing-- If a member of the College community suspects financial wrong-doing, he/she should follow procedures outlined in the Whistleblower Policy.

Suspected Criminal Activity-- Any suspected criminal activity involving or witnessed by a member of the College community is to be immediately reported to the Department of Public Safety (717-358-3939). Employees and students are also encouraged to report suspected criminal activity to the appropriate law enforcement official.

Faculty members may see the Faculty Handbook for further information, including information about the role of the Grievance Committee. Students should see the College Life Manual for information about reporting general concerns, or may speak with their House Prefect or a member of the Office of the Dean of the College.

Note: The College, in its sole discretion, makes disciplinary and discharge decisions.
Policy Maintained by: Human Resources, Associate Vice President
Last Reviewed: July 25, 2016