Moving Expense Reimbursement Policy



The College will provide reimbursement for eligible moving expenses, up to the maximum dollar amounts listed below, to newly appointed full-time, tenure-track faculty and full-time professional staff who must relocate their primary residence in order to accept employment at Franklin & Marshall.  Reimbursement is provided when the move occurs so that the individual can accept employment with the College.  

Employees hired for temporary assignments (usually two years or less) are not eligible for moving expense reimbursement.  However, full-time visiting faculty members are eligible for reimbursement up to $600.

Eligible Moving Expenses

Reimbursement will be provided for reasonable and necessary expenses directly associated with moving household items from the employee's former primary residence to the new primary residence, up to the maximum allowable reimbursement as listed below.  Reimbursement for an employee's moving expenses will be provided when it is not possible or practical to remain in the current residence due to the distance between the current residence and Franklin & Marshall.  Generally, the employee's current residence must be at least 50 miles from the College for the employee to be eligible for moving expense reimbursement.

A new employee who drives his/her personal vehicle from the former residence to the new residence will be reimbursed for mileage at the current IRS reimbursement rate pertaining to relocation.  Such reimbursement will count toward the maximum reimbursement amounts listed below.

Reimbursement is not provided for expenses associated with moving items to or from a secondary (non-primary) residence or location.  Reimbursement is also not provided for house-hunting trips or for a family member’s meals or lodging associated with relocation.

Maximum Reimbursement

The maximum amount which will be reimbursed to an employee for all eligible moving expenses, including mileage reimbursement when a personal vehicle is driven, is based on the distance moved, as outlined below: 

Distance Moved                                          Maximum Reimbursement

less than 1,000 miles                                     up to $1,000

1,000 - 1,999 miles                                          up to $1,500

2,000 or more miles                                      up to $2,000

Applying for Reimbursement

Moving Expense Reimbursement Form must be completed by the employee.  Original, itemized receipts for eligible expenses must accompany the reimbursement form.  Faculty members should return the reimbursement form to the Office of the Provost.  Members of the professional staff should return the completed form to the Human Resources department.  The College is unable to submit payment directly to a moving company, or to provide funds in advance of a move.

Tax Treatment of Moving Expense Reimbursement

As a result of tax law changes, effective January 1, 2018, all moving and relocation expense
reimbursements will be considered taxable income to the employee and will be reimbursed
through the Payroll system and appear on Form W-2 in the calendar year the reimbursement is


Policy Maintained by: Human Resources, Associate Vice President

Last Reviewed: February 2018