- Acceptable Use Policy and User Agreement
- Cell Phone and other Personal Electronic Device Policy
- Chosen First Name Use Policy
- Data Classification Policy
- Guest User Acceptable Use Policy
- Information Security Policy for Mobile and Remote Devices
- Network Security Policy
- Payment Card Industry (PCI) Compliance Policy
- Privacy Notice for F&M Website
- Privileged Account Management Policy
- Technology Hardware Acquisition, Disposition and Replacement Policy
- Wireless Network Policy
- Backup Retention Policy
- Copyright & Fair Use Policy
- Cloud Vendor Policy
- F&M Account Content Access by Non-Account Holder Policy
- Information Security Policy
- Music and Movie Download Policy
- Password Policy
- Personal Computing Support Policy
- Screening Movies on Campus Policy
- User Access to Data and Services Policy
F&M’s wireless network is available to any member of the Franklin & Marshall community with a device that supports wireless industry standards.
F&M’s wireless network provides nearly 100% coverage to all campus buildings as well as many popular outdoor spaces, such as outdoor athletic facilities and Hartman Green. A wireless network is a is a shared resource for all and users must act responsibly when using F&M’s wireless network. The College’s Acceptable Use Policy outlines each individual's responsibilities.
All members of the Franklin & Marshall community who choose to connect their personal computers or other devices to the campus network are responsible for the usage of their device. Any device that adversely affects the Franklin & Marshall network or attempts to circumvent College security measures may be disconnected without advance notice. This policy holds true for wireless technologies as well as the traditional network.
In order to use our wireless network it is necessary to register your computer and submit to a scan for known security vulnerabilities. Users who do not have an F&M NetID will be considered 'wireless guests'. Wireless access for guests is governed by the Guest User Acceptable Use Policy available as a ‘click thru’ when accessing the service.
We require that each individual agrees not to use the network in any way that deliberately diminishes the effectiveness of the network or interferes with the reasonable and private use of those systems by others. Consequently, the College does not allow wireless hubs or systems acting as a wireless hub to be installed on the campus. These devices, if configured incorrectly, will result in the loss of network services for others. Wireless capabilities are provided for college owned properties; there is no need for an individual to install such a device.
The wireless network employs frequencies in the 2.4 + 5.1 GHz range. The College will approach the shared use of the 2.4 + 5.1GHz radio frequencies, in the same way that it manages the shared use of the wired network. Consequently, the College reserves the right to restrict the use of all 2.4 + 5.1 GHz devices in college-owned buildings and all outdoor spaces on the Franklin & Marshall campus.
If a specific device causes interference or disrupts the campus network, the College will take all appropriate action to restore the functionality of the network. This is in accordance with the College's role and responsibility for maintaining a network.
Policy Maintained by: Information Technology Services, Associate Vice President and Chief Information Officer
Last Reviewed: 9 August 2018