Bereavement Pay Policy


Immediately upon hire, full-time members of the College faculty and professional staff are eligible for paid bereavement time as outlined below.

Time Periods

  • Death of a Spouse or Same-sex Partner, or Child

A full-time member of the faculty or professional staff is eligible to take up to 5 days of paid bereavement upon the death of the employee's spouse or same-sex domestic partner, or child (including step child, foster child, child placed for adoption, or child of the employee's same - sex domestic partner).

A full-time College employee may take up to an additional 5 days of paid bereavement within two months of the spouse’s, same - sex domestic partner’s, or child’s death, for a total of 10 paid days. These additional 5 days away from work should be scheduled in consultation with the supervisor whenever practical. The additional 5 days do not need to be taken consecutively.

  • Death of a Parent, In-law, Sibling, or Grandchild -- A full-time employee may take up to 5 days of paid bereavement upon the death of his/her mother, father, step or foster parent, mother-in-law, father-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, sibling, or grandchild.
  • Death of Other Relative -- If an employee's relative other than those mentioned above dies, the employee may take 1 paid day of bereavement.

Additional Time Off

The College may grant up to 2 additional paid days off work depending upon the employee's circumstances, including the travel distance to the funeral, the required involvement of the employee in the funeral arrangements, and other extenuating factors. When such extenuating circumstances exist, the employee should request up to 2 additional paid days off work through his/her supervisor or the Assistant Director or Director, Human Resources.

Paid days off work for bereavement are to be taken at the time of the death or the funeral except as noted above.

If additional time is needed, the employee may request to use earned vacation days (non - exempt employees may also request to use personal days). An unpaid personal leave of absence may be granted, at the discretion of the College. Requests for unpaid personal leave are to be made through the supervisor and the Assistant/Associate Director or Associate Vice President, Human Resources.
Policy Maintained by: Human Resources, Associate Vice President
Last Reviewed: July 25, 2016