Conference Assistant Position
Franklin & Marshall College, Office of Conference & Event Services:
The Conference & Events (C&E) Office, is under the direction of the Director of Conference & Event Services, who serves as a contact person and coordinator of all camps, conferences and outside events.
During the summer months, the Director is assisted by students working as part of the C&E Team. Franklin & Marshall College generally hosts over 45 conferences and events consisting of over 30,000 guests. These conferences and events are comprised of a variety of camps (athletic, academic, music, etc.), conferences (leadership, dance, etc.), concerts, receptions, weddings, swim meets, high school graduations and much more! Employment with the C&E Office should be viewed as an opportunity for summer employment, a learning experience, and an opportunity to be part of a team that is hardworking and fun.
The Conference & Event Services Staff:
Kendel Lyn Jackson, Director
Lindsey Mercado, Office Manager
Conference Assistants will assist in all facets of the conference and events program. Conference Assistants will be responsible for servicing the needs of conference groups. This will include administrative, clerical and physical tasks. Conference Assistants are involved in every aspect of the summer conference program from general preparation for visiting groups, serving as a liaison between the customer and the C&E Office, to post conference wrap up.
Additional Information for Applicants
Employment begins approximately, Monday, June 1 and ends Friday, August 14, 2020.
You must be a current "Fulltime" Franklin & Marshall College student.
Consideration for the job of Conference Assistant is competitive. As a Conference Assistant, the C&E Office expects that you will uphold the values and dignity not only of the College, but of yourself as well.
Although weekly schedules will vary, Conference Assistants will work up to 35 hours per week on average, including evenings and weekends. Some weeks, especially in early June, there may be slow times, however the remainder of the season will be busy. Conference Assistants are not permitted to hold another employment position or be enrolled in summer courses during the dates of employment.
On campus housing is a requirement for this position. Housing and limited meal plan are provided free of charge.
Timelines for Staff Selection:
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 13, 2020 (5 pm).
- Interviews will be held March 17- 20, 2020.
- Staff will be selected and offers made by Friday, March 27, 2020.
2020 Staff Goals:
- To provide excellent customer service as measured through continuous evaluation.
- To maintain a friendly and open relationship among conference staff, campus departments and personnel.
- To represent Franklin & Marshall College in the best possible manner.
- To set an excellent precedent for future conference operations.
- To maintain a good relationship between conference staff and visitors.
- To be active participants in the College’s mission, committed to the enhancement and promotion of the F&M College community.
- Dependability and follow-through.
- Ability to accept direction.
- Administrative ability (details are very important).
- Present a positive image of self, the College and have a tidy appearance.
- Enjoyment of working with people from all backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Communicate effectively with conference groups.
- The ability to lift and carry items weighing 30 pounds or more.
- Above all, possess a willingness to work and learn, and be a part of the C&E Team striving for a common goal.
- Live in provided on campus housing for entire employment period.
- Orientation and staff training are mandatory. This will take place Monday, June 1 – Friday, June 5, 2020.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings.
- Weekday, evening and weekend responsibilities – depending on conference schedule and assignments.
For additional information, please contact Lindsey Mercado at:
firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-358-4891.
Summer Conference Assistant Employment Application