How to Submit the Waiver
The Office of Financial Aid recognizes that extenuating circumstances in individual cases may make it impossible to obtain information and/or support of the noncustodial parent. If the noncustodial parent's whereabouts are unknown, if there is an established history of no contact, or if there are certain other extenuating circumstances, we may exempt the student from providing information for the noncustodial parent.
Submission of the waiver does not guarantee its approval. Requests based solely on a noncustodial parent’s unwillingness to contribute or submit application materials will not be considered. Need-based aid is a measure of ability, not willingness, to pay for a student’s college education.
NOTE: If you are a single adoptive parent or a single parent of donor conceived child, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.
- You must have a completed CSS Profile and FAFSA on file with Office of Financial Aid.
- You must have a completed Common Application/Coalition Application on file with the Office of Admission.
- The CSS Profile Waiver Request for the Noncustodial Parent must be completed and signed. The form is on the CSS Profile website under "Info for Divorced Parents." If you are uncertain on how to answer a question(s), please contact our office.
- Include a signed statement from an impartial third party. See instructions for 3rd PARTY STATEMENT.
- For all forms and statements: Pen/Ink Signatures are required - computer generated signatures are not acceptable.
UPLOAD DOCUMENTS TO IDOC
- Download the CSS Profile Waiver Request for the Noncustodial Parent from the CSS Profile website under “Info for Divorced Parents.” Follow the instructions to complete and sign the form.
NOTE: Pen/Ink Signatures required - computer generated signatures are not acceptable.
- Court documents may be submitted to support your petition, however, a third party statement is still required.
- Upload via IDOC the CSS Profile Waiver Request for the Noncustodial Profile Parent , third party statement and any other supporting documents, together. Do not upload them separately.
3RD PARTY STATEMENT
- Include with the waiver, one (1) statement from an impartial third party that can verify the amount of contact the student has had with the noncustodial parent.
- The statement must be from a professional individual - guidance counselor, physician, social worker, licensed therapist, clergy person, police or another impartial source familiar with your situation in a professional capacity.
- The statement must address how the person knows you, how long they have known you, how they have been involved and/or have first-hand personal knowledge of your situation and the amount of contact you have with your noncustodial parent.
- The statement must be on the agency’s letterhead.
- The statement must include the individual’s name, title or position, address, and signature. NOTE: Pen/Ink Signatures required - computer generated signatures are not acceptable.
- The individual submitting statement cannot work or reside at the same address as you or your custodial parent. In addition they cannot be related to you or your family.