4/05/2016 Victoria L. Ngo

Artist Spotlight: 2016 Studio Art Majors

• Untitled: No. X Banner

As the semester draws to an end, F&M's Spring 2016 studio art graduates prepare for the Untitled: No. X exhibit to be held in the museum's Rothman Gallery from April 12–May 8.  The exhibit will feature works created over the past 4 months by the following 8 students, with guidance from adviser Professor John Holmgren.

Vanessa Duarte

Preferred Medium: Mixed media
Fun Fact: I've played soccer for 14 years

What you hope to do after graduation? I am going to get my MBA with a concentration in marketing at Philadelphia University.

Can you describe the time when you first realized that creating was something you absolutely had to do?​ 
When I was in second grade I fell in love with my art class.  It was by far my favorite class and I was so upset that we only had it once a week.  I remember nagging my parents back then about having to make more art.  I would bring home dozens of sketches made with bright colored crayons and markers.  There was piles of it.  Finally my parents gave in and paid for private art lessons.   

What is the best advice you have been given when creating work?
One of my professors told me "You have to know when your piece is finished."  There are times I become a perfectionist with my work.  I revisit my paintings and collages, always trying to tweak something here or there, but eventually you have to know when to stop.  That decision to finally say a piece is finished is one of the hardest things I have had to learn in creating art.  

Allison Eldredge

Preferred Medium: Photography
Fun Fact: My grandfather's babysitter was the Wicked Witch of the West; the actress was roommates with my great-grandmother.

What do you hope to do after graduation?  I plan to further my art fields and somehow incorporate it into archaeological research.

What work do you most enjoy doing?​ 
Photography. I love that we have the ability to capture a moment and/or feeling. Something that in most cases is nearly impossible to replicate. That snapped image happened at a specific moment, at a particular position, and most importantly what the subject is experiencing.

What have you enjoyed most about the Studio Art Capstone?
It has both allowed me to expand upon my previous pieces and has forced me to think in new concepts and contexts. 

Ye (Elaine) Feng

Preferred Medium: Photography
 Fun Fact: I'm the only child of my family

What you hope to do after graduation? Travel, go to grad school & never stop making art

What art do you most identify with? How would you describe your style?
I'm currently concentrating on shooting close-up abstract body parts that look like landscapes in black and white printed in very large scale on matte paper, and I've been shooting this theme for one and a half years. I'm a bit scared of working with many colors with high saturation, but I love working with lights & shadows, lines, shapes. That being said, I'm a selective color blind. I only see in pastels and black and white.

What work do you most enjoy doing? 
Photography is my all time favorite! I love different kinds of alternative processes, doing collages that have stories within, drawing with charcoal and painting with oil on canvas. I love everything.

Amalya Levy 

Preferred Medium: Pencil
Fun Fact: I grew up bilingual in English and Hebrew

What do you hope to do after graduation? I want to go into a behavioral husbandry program at the New York Aquarium

Can you describe the time when you first realized that creating was something you absolutely had to do? 
I first knew that creating was something I wanted to do when I was in 7th grade. A new girl who was very good at drawing, now one of my closest friends, transferred into my school. One day, she peeked over my shoulder to see some doodles I’d made of feathers that fell out of my winter coat, and told me that they were really good. Up until then, I’d felt really inadequate, so I only doodled in the margins of my notebooks; but afterwards I started to work on drawing projects for the school, and taking classes, and I began to realize how much I loved doing it.

What are you trying to communicate with your art?
With my art, I am trying to communicate first and foremost the beauty in all life. I think that most of the time, it’s all too easy for people to overlook all sorts of  amazing critters simply because they’re not very similar to us and we can’t relate, or because we just don’t come across them on a regular basis. I like to search for the ones that slip between the cracks – especially the bizarre and the creepy – and put them on display to try and help people appreciate how they are beautiful in a different, less conventional way.

Nicole Maurici

Prefered Media: Mixed media and photography
Fun Fact: I speak four languages and am currently learning a fifth.

What do you hope to do after graduation? I hope to work for a biopharmaceutical company/research institute after graduation.

I identify mostly with abstract impressionism and minimalism. It really has influenced my style as I like to study and portray a sense of balance in terms of lines, colors, and shapes in my compositions. 

With my art, I try to show that simplicity and minimalism can be elegant and even powerful. 

Victoria Ngo

Prefered Medium: Wood
Fun Fact: I was once chased by a group of wild monkeys after taunting them with bananas.

What do you hope to do after graduation? Ideally, I'd like to take over the world, but seeing as there are scarier people around with that goal in mind, I'll probably just settle for a form of employment that will give me money in exchange for my services.

I've really enjoyed having the freedom to conceptualize and create without the limitations of a syllabus. It was nice to be able to just bring to reality whatever I imagined.

If you could have anyone, person or character/ living or dead, come see the Senior Show, who would it be?
Probably Phineas from the Disney show Phineas & Ferb... I feel like he would appreciate my choice of shape. 

Hunter Siegrist

Preferred Media: Painting, drawing, and photography
Fun Fact: When I was in kindergarten, my parents forgot it was Halloween. Needless to say I went as a square M&M that year (they put me in a cardboard box painted blue). It was not as easy as you might think to pick up candy from the bowls. 

What you hope to do after graduation? After graduation I hope to run the world, or at least have a minimum wage job, which ever happens first. 

I think the first moment I realized that art and creating was something I was meant to do was when I was 4. I remember drawing pictures as part of my pre-school class. We would draw pictures and then describe in broken unintelligible english what we had drawn. My stories often consisted of people (with at least 10 fingers on each hand) doing pretty mundane things. Most children lose their creativity around this age, and I am happy to say that art and drawing, fostered by my parents, has been a part of my life, and will continue with me post-grad. 

I'm not sure that I'm trying to communicate any direct point. With my art I want the appreciation to address how we view the world and why we do the way we do. How we investigate the human figure, and what it means to have disjointed points of the human in one image. 

Alejandra Zavala

Prefered Media: Photography and printmaking 
Fun Fact: When I was 4, I fell on top of my grandmom’s giant cactus plant. My mom and aunts had to rescue me and then spent the rest of the day removing the thorns from my body. It was quite painful to say the least. This is more or less what it looked like, except I didn’t do it on purpose.  

What do you hope to do after graduation? I will be working at McCaskey High School for the next two years, as a college advisor for the Pennsylvania College Advising Corps. Then hopefully going to graduate school for art therapy. 

A lot of my art explores my culture and my roots. I use it as a way to understand where I come from and how my environment has molded me into the person I am today. I’m trying to figure out my identity.

Frida Kahlo! She is my favorite artist and a constant inspiration for my work.  

• Vanessa Duarte

• Allison Eldredge

• Ye Feng

• Amalya Levy

• Nicole Maurici

• Victoria Ngo

• Hunter Siegrist

• Alejandra Zavala

Rachel Rose: Lake Valley

Gibson Gallery, February 1-April 28, 2022 

Sandra Eula Lee: Slow Burn

Rothman Gallery, February 1-April 28, 2022 

Nancy Macko: The Fragile Bee

Dana Gallery, February 1-April 28, 2022