12/11/2017 Claire R. Collison

CURRENTS: All Student Juried Show

Jan 23 – Mar 25

CURRENTS: All Student Juried Show

ROTHMAN GALLERY

The Phillips Museum of Art at Franklin & Marshall College welcomes the spring semester with our annual CURRENTS: All Student Juried Show. This show, sponsored and organized by the campus Art Club, embodies F&M’s liberal arts principles—all students can make art and enter it in this show. This year’s juror, Frederick Wright Jones, Muhlenberg College Sculpture Professor, will select between 65 to 85 works and select awards in best of drawing, painting, film, mixed-media, sculpture, photography and best in show. F&M College President, Dr. Daniel R. Porterfield, sponsors the prizes and will award them at the reception.

Opening reception and awards ceremony, Jan 25, 5 p.m. Rothman Gallery

Juror’s Statement

I approached the selection process for the CURRENTS: All Student Juried Show by combining what I seek to achieve as a teacher with the goals I strive for as a maker. Creative work is a process. It is important that works display an investment in time and show a certain level of contemplation. As a teacher, I punctuate the importance of craft. Artworks must pass the test of time so the quality of work is key for curators and collectors. A question that pushes me is, “what factors turn the common object into a cultural artifact?” The work must be both structurally sound and visually compelling. Equally important is the notion of intellectual resonance. The best work is that which is contemplative. The parts carefully chosen. The material reflects the meaning. The artmaking process is never complete. Artworks that are pushed structurally and thematically visually convey the directional artistic goal of physical and theoretical completion. The viewer is dazzled by the materiality but also left to consider meaning and/or struck by a magnified emotion. As maker, educator, and viewer, I am impressed by humor, my favorites being sarcasm or Punk-Rock Cynicism. I appreciate youthful rebellion and am drawn to work that stands apart and pushes boundaries. My final criterion is that work proudly displays its uniqueness. There are multiple ways to do this and the works chosen for CURRENTS, All Student Juried Show are examples of this.

Frederick Wright Jones, Assistant Professor, Sculpture, Muhlenberg College
January 18, 2018

Colette Fu: We Are Tiger Dragon People

Dana Gallery, August 28 – December 7, 2018

Nissley Gallery: Reinstallation of the Phillips Museum of...

Nissley Gallery, August 28 – December 7, 2018  

Käthe Kollwitz: Bauernkrieg / Peasant War

Gibson Gallery, September 4 - December 7, 2018