The External Grant
External Grant Development and Application Procedures
Faculty members are encouraged to submit research and/or curriculum development proposals to external funding agencies. If unsure of where to look for funding, contact Amy Cuhel-Schuckers or Ryan Sauder (see below).
Please be aware that if your plans involve Sabbaticals or Leaves of Absence, our benefits during periods of time when you are not receiving salary from F&M may be affected; you are encouraged to contact Laura Fiore in Human Resources directly.
Common funding sources:
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) - http://www.neh.gov/grants
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) - http://www.arts.gov/grants
- Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs - http://eca.state.gov/organizational-funding/open-grant-solicitations
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) - R15 Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA) - http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/area.htm
- National Science Foundation (NSF) - http://www.nsf.gov/funding/
- ACLS (American Council of Learned Societies) Fellowships - http://www.acls.org/programs/comps/
- NEH-funded Fellowships at Independent Research Institutions - http://www.neh.gov/divisions/research/fpiri-supported-fellowships
- National Humanities Center - http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/fellowships/index.htm
- Duke University -
SPIN Global Suite is the single solution for Researchers and Principal Investigators who desire to spend less time doing the arduous and labor-intensive steps of searching, but still be presented with ideally-suited and perfectly matched funding opportunities.
Please refer to the InfoED/SPINPlus information document to learn more about SPINPlus and how to set up an account.
The Foundation Center is an independent clearinghouse for grant information. Set up in 1956, the Foundation Center concentrates solely on foundations offering grants, both from private and corporate foundations. Among the site's features are a comprehensive and up-to-date database on private and corporate giving, tutorials on seeking grants and writing proposals, and the Philanthropy News Digest, a weekly news abstract about philanthropic activities.
Franklin & Marshall maintains a subscription to the Foundation Directory Online, a nearly comprehensive database of private foundation funders in the United States. Please contact Ryan Sauder (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you'd like assistance in running a search.