The Center Itself
Since opening in 2008, the Klehr Center for Jewish Life has been committed to engaging Jewish students in Jewish activities so that they develop leadership skills, access service learning opportunities, and form and inform their identities as independent Jewish adults who will make an enduring commitment to Jewish life and the world.
The Center houses a variety of programs and services including:
- Home to F&M Hillel and its many programs
- A sponsor for Judaic Studies lectures, discussions and films
- Jewish Book Reading Group
- Classroom space
The Center is a well-lit building central on campus with a comfortable living room with a fireplace and comfortable furniture, library, a kosher kitchen, multipurpose spaces on the first and second floor, and office spaces for staff. The building hosts Shabbat services and dinners, bagel brunches, other Hillel gatherings, and is an ideal space for both studying and socializing.
The Klehr Center is also the connecting point for Jewish alumni and families of Jewish students, both current, past and future.
The Klehr Center for Jewish Life
Dedicated October 24, 2008 / Tishrei 25, 5769
The Klehr Center is a 6,500 square foot very "green" building. Some of its features include:
* Geothermal heating and cooling
* Natural sustainable products used when possible in construction
* Low energy use appliances
* Compact fluorescent lighting
* Light timers and motion detection systems
*Two-stage water saving toilets accommodations
* Living Room -a comfortable place to hang out, read, watch TV, play games, and study
* Multipurpose Room - dinners, lectures, film, study, and more
* Kosher Kitchen
* Seminar Room - classes are taught and a place to study
* Harwood Beit Midrash -Services, lectures, study space, and films
* Outdoor Patio - with furniture and web access
Wireless, access to the College network throughout and outside the Center, as well as internal and external sound system.
The KCJL Reading Group
Each year, the Klehr Center for Jewish Life (KCJL) hosts a book club for F&M and the surrounding community. The books are chosen based on their Jewish theme, values, or author. They range in topics and types of literature.
Celebrating Five Years of our Beautiful Center (2008-2013)