On-Campus Employment

Any student enrolled in at least 3 credits (full-time course load) per semester is eligible for an on-campus job. There are three basic categories of on-campus job opportunities:

Federal Work Study

To qualify for Federal Work-Study, you must exhibit financial need as determined by the
 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal Work-Study money is earned, not deducted from your bill. For more information about FAFSA, please visit our
Financial Aid website.

Students are not required to have an on-campus job. If you receive Federal Work-Study and choose not to work on-campus, you must decline your assigned placement via email from your F&M email account.

College Work Option Program

The College Work Option Program was developed by the College and is institutionally funded.  Like the Federal Work Study Program, students may work up to 10 hours per week during the fall and spring semester (non-break periods) and earn up to $1,900 during the academic year.  Employment is also available during summer and semester breaks.

  • Senior biochemistry major Daniyal Tariq manipulated the heme pocket of a gas-binding protein with an unnatural amino acid to address the question: can water get into the pocket or just gases?

Departmental Job Program

The Departmental Job Program is funded by individual departments, often through special, private funding made available from foundations and other outside organizations. These jobs, which include research positions and special project assistantships, are limited in number and usually require specific job skills.

Although funding for these positions is separate from Federal Work Study and College Work Option, private departmental stipend employment is part of the overall student employment program and payment is done through student payroll. Students whose wages are to be paid from departmental budget funds, grants or stipends must have a Student Employment Authorization Form (SEAF) completed by the departmental supervisor and submitted to the Office of Financial Aid.

Students are hired by the various departments on campus on the basis of the same factors most employers would hire:

  • The individual needs of the campus office
  • The student's willingness to work,
  • The student's job skills
  • The student's employment experience


Before Arriving on Campus 

Please be sure to bring proper identification with you to Franklin & Marshall so that you can be authorized to work on campus,* especially if you are planning to work during the fall semester.  The most commonly presented, accepted forms of identification include a passport OR the combination of a driver’s license AND social security card or birth certificate, however, any documents outlined on page 9 of the I-9 form below are acceptable. ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE ORIGINAL AND UNEXPIRED.  (We are not permitted to accept photocopies/scans of such documents per Federal requirements.) The name you provide on all employment forms must be your name EXACTLY as it appears on your Social Security Card. 

I-9 Form

W-4 Form

Certificate of Residency Form (Lancaster County) 

Check out our Move-In Day link for more information concerning your arrival on campus..

*It is also highly recommended if working on campus to have payroll funds direct deposited into an individual bank account (checking or savings).  This will allow students to have their funds available more readily on paydays