Rental Vehicles

Does the school have any recommendations of what type of vehicle I rent?

  • Please consider other means of transportation before renting a vehicle. When you do require a rented vehicle, you are prohibited from renting 15-passenger vans and vehicles valued in excess of $30,000.

​The rental agency has requested a certificate of insurance showing the College's auto insurance limits. Where do I get this certificate?
  • For contact please send an email to  Departments are responsible for paying the insurance deductible in the event of an accident.

I rent cars on school trips. What insurance coverage do I have?
  • You may only rent vehicles for school trips if you are an authorized driver.

  • Franklin and Marshall College has "Hired Car Coverage" for both liability and collision as a part of its auto insurance policy. When renting, reserve the vehicle in BOTH your name and the school's name. Decline liability insurance and collision insurance offered by the rental agency for vehicles rented/driven in the United States or Canada. For any non-US or Canadian rentals, you must take the applicable comprehensive and collision insurance provided by the rental company.

  • Always inspect the rented vehicle before driving it and ensure any previous damage is noted on the rental form. Also, ensure lights, turn signals, flashers and wipers are in working condition.


Personal Vehicles  

I drive a personal vehicle for job related functions. What insurance coverage do I have? 

  • You may only drive a personal vehicle on behalf of the school if you are an authorized driver.

  • If you drive your own vehicle on school business, your own insurance policy serves as "primary" for third party liability and collision to your vehicle. To drive on behalf of this school it is required that you carry sufficient insurance for your vehicle and provide proof of this insurance to the school.

  • It is recommended that your personal auto policy liability limit should be a minimum of $100,000 per person, $300,000 per accident and $50,000 for property damage. This is known as a split limit policy. A similar limit, known as a Combined Single Limit, might be stated as $300,000 per accident for bodily injury or property damage. The school insurance is "excess" of your insurance limits, which means that the school's insurance covers the accident after your insurance runs out.
  • The school will not pay any claims to personal vehicles for comprehensive or collision damage. The school's Uninsured/Underinsured coverage does not extend to non-owned vehicles. Consult your insurance advisor for this type of coverage.

Authorized Drivers  

How do I become an authorized driver?  

Do I have to follow school driving policies when driving a personal or rented vehicle?

  • Franklin and Marshall College's driver safety policy applies to all drivers of school-owned vehicles, personal vehicles, and rented vehicles. For questions please send an email to .
Why are my personal driving records being reviewed and what are you looking for?
  • Motor Vehicle Records (MVRs) are reviewed annually for all drivers who drive on school business whether they drive a school-owned, personal, or rental vehicle. As a guideline, violations remain listed on a MVR for three to five years depending on the state. The school reviews your violations in order to determine whether or not you are a safe driver. In addition to being an insurance requirement, the school has a right to ensure that only safe drivers drive on behalf of the institution.
  • Current employees whose driving records are not acceptable may need extra attention such as a driver training program or driving restrictions for business purposes. Certain violations, such as driving under the influence of alcohol or reckless driving, might be grounds for restricting driving privileges or termination. For questions please send an email to .