Winter Break 2019-2020
Winter Break begins after your last final exam, or the end of the day on Sunday, December 15, 2019. Campus residence halls and houses will close on Monday, December 16 to students not registered for Winter Break. *Please note that college administrative offices are closed Saturday, December 21 - Wednesday, January 1. Public Safety and Blue Line are the exceptions to this*
Residence halls reopen to all students on Sunday, January 19 at 8:30 a.m. The spring semester begins on Tuesday, January 21, 2020.
Any students who wish to remain on campus for ANY part of the break (12/16 - 1/19 ) MUST request to do so and be granted approval to remain (including athletes). Students who live off-campus are also asked to register for safety purposes. If students do not register, their ID Card access to buildings will be inactive during the break. Please register to stay for WINTER BREAK here by Tuesday 12/10 at noon. Students who are approved to remain on campus are not allowed to have overnight visitors or guests in the dorms.
**There will be a MANDATORY Winter Break meeting on Tuesday 12/10 @ 1 p.m. in Stager Hall.
The College has shuttles that travel to Baltimore (BWI), Philadelphia (PHL), and Harrisburg (MDT) airports. Shuttles will travel to the airports for departures on Tuesday 12/12 - Monday 12/16. They will pick up arrivals for the spring semester on Sunday, 1/19 and Monday, 1/20. To review schedules, pay the shuttle fee, and get more information, visit: https://www.fandm.edu/administrative-services/break-shuttles-and-transportation
- Lunch on Sunday 12/15 (11:30a - 1pm) is the final meal plan of the fall semester meal plan. All campus dining will be closed after this time, except Blue Line.
- Please note: College House kitchens will be closed for the duration of the break. College policy strictly forbids cooking in residence hall rooms, cooking is allowed in the off-campus apartments.
- The College will offer a Winter Break-Only meal plan for use at Blue Line Cafe:
- The meal plan can be a 20- or 40-swipe plan for $140 and $280, respectively. There is a 4-swipes-per-day limit.
- Students who are receiving financial aid, have accepted all loans, and are enrolled in either the fall or spring meal plans can request financial assistance.
- You can sign up on the "Request to Stay" Form.
- The swipes are redeemable at Blue Line only.
- Blue Line Cafe will be open during Winter Break. Remember - meal plans will not be in effect after Tuesday lunch, but the Break Meal Plan and Ben's Bucks will be accepted (as well as cash and credit cards).
Monday through Friday, (12/16 – Friday 1/17/20): 8am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday (12/16 – 1/12/20): 10am – 5pm
BLUE LINE will be CLOSED 12/24, 12/25 and 1/1/19
Regular Operating Hours resume Sunday 1/19/20
- President Altmann will host a Winter Break Kick-Off Dinner on campus on Monday, December 15. It will be held in 1787 (College Square) from 4:30 - 6:00 p.m. Sign up to attend on this separate registration form by Wednesday 12/11 at noon.
- In-season athletes should speak with their coaches regarding meals/stipends provided.
- The spring semester meal plan begins with DINNER on Sunday January 19, 2020 at 5pm.
Students are reminded that staying in their own rooms during campus breaks is a privilege and they are expected to keep trash cans from overflowing and public spaces clean.
- The temperature in the residence halls will also be set back a few degrees.
- If a student has ID card access issues during the break, they should email email@example.com. However they should expect a bit of delay since appropriate staff will be on vacation and need to remotely to assist as they are able. If you are having an emergency that cannot wait, please contact Public Safety for a one time assist.
- Custodial services will be on a reduced schedule as well to allow them time to celebrate the holiday with their families.
- The Lancaster Loop shuttle will run to the usual locations at the following times from outside the College Center:
- Saturdays & Wednesdays between 4-8pm beginning on Sat. 12/22 through Sat. 1/18.
- The pick-up location is College Avenue, outside the College Center.
- Local bus routes are an affordable and quick option for getting off campus.
- Enterprise car share is available on campus - see instructions and policies here.
Mail Services will be open normal weekday hours with the exception of the Administrative break
- From Saturday 12/21/19 to Wednesday 1/1/20 Mail Services will be closed and students won't be able to send or receive mail or packages. They will resume regular hours on Thursday 1/2.
- The F&M Department of Public Safety is open 24 hours a day throughout the break. They will be patrolling the campus and dorms each day.
- The F&M Wellness Center will be closed Saturday 12/21/19 to Wednesday 1/1/20; but will have normal operating hours otherwise.
- In the event of an emergency, please dial 717-358-3939 or 911.
- Lancaster General Hospital Urgent Care (check site for hours) and Emergency Room (always open) are located in Lancaster city.
- The Wellness Center and DipCares websites have a lot of information for local assistance as well. Scroll down for off-campus resources.
If you are travelling:
- Make sure you tell someone where you are going if you are leaving campus (such as a friend) and when you plan to come back.
- If an international student is leaving Lancaster, they are advised to take all immigration documents. NEVER take your social security card with you on your travels. Secure your immigration documents at all times - campus breaks are the most common time for passports and other personal items to be stolen or lost in transit.
- If an F-1 international student is leaving the US - make sure you have the following to re-enter the US:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months into the future.
- Valid F-1 visa.
- Updated travel signature on page 2 of your Form I-20. The latest signature must be less than one-year old when you enter the US.
- For example, if your I-20 was last signed for travel on 5/20/2019 - that signature will work with the other items above until 5/19/2020.