No matter if you earned income in the previous calendar year or not, you will need to file paperwork with the government if you were present in the US during the previous year! 

Each Spring, International Student Services assists students with the logistics of filing their taxes if they are considered non-resident aliens for tax purposes.  It is important to note that our office is not a tax preparation agency, and we are not accountants.  If there is question about a particular tax issue, it is best to ask the F&M Business Office (if related to F&M wages), submit a question through Glacier Tax Prep, or contact a tax professional. We are NOT tax advisers, we are immigration advisers.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page for plenty of guides and instuctions for completing this process.  It is designed to be user-friendly!

First-year international students are invited to tax workshops in the spring semester where they will learn about the process and be guided through the logistics.   Upperclassmen are expected to do this process independently and come to the International Center for a final logistical review and obtian appropriate envelopes.  

Documents you will need:


  • Each February W-2's will become available.  If you worked on campus during the previous calendar year then you will have a W-2.  You can access your W-2 from Inside.Fandm.Edu while a student.  W-2's will also be sent home to permanent addresses on file with the College, which is usually the home address (abroad) for international students.  If you have an F&M W-2, you'll need two copies printed out to do your taxes.

FORM 1042-S

  • In addition to the W-2, a small group of international students will also receive Form 1042-S from the Business Office.  
  • This form is issued to account for monetary awards given by the College and financial aid (grant) monies that funded Room & Board during the tax year in question after tuition was funded in full by finanical aid.
Federal Tax Filing Process:

All current international students at F&M will receive an access code to Glacier Tax Prep (GTP), an on-line tax preparation program designed specifically for international students.  All students should complete this process if they were present in the US for any part of the tax year in question regardless of if income was earned.  If income was not earned during the tax year in question, then it will be a short process in GTP.  

Be sure to sign your federal tax forms where indicated in English, and make a copy of your tax documents before you mail them to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).  The instructions that print out with the tax forms will tell students what to send and to where.  It is not possible for international students to submit this form on-line.  Please obtain appropriate envelopes from the International Center.

Please note that by law international students are not eligible to use form 1040 or 1040-EZ to file. This means that international students cannot use Turbo Tax, Tax Act, or any other general tax program that wasn't designed specifically for international students.  International students are also not eligible to use V.I.T.A. on campus, as V.I.T.A. uses these general forms.  Doing so would be illegal.

State Taxes (PA) Filing Process:

All students who earned more than $33 during the tax year in question should file the PA-40.  This is a brief form that can be completed on-line or by paper.  All international students are provided with a sample PA-40 completed in student format.  Most students break even on the PA-40, meaning no refund or payment is expected.  Most students use the "No Payment or No Refund" address (paper filing).  Please note there are separate addresses for "Payment Enclosed" and "Refund Requested" scenarios.  Be sure to copy your PA-40 before mailing it to the PA Department of Revenue.

Filing Taxes while Away from the College:
  • Students studying abroad or on a leave of absence can request that their W-2 be mailed to them at their study abroad destination.  To request this please email the Business Office at u and provide them with your current mailing address.  Students can file both federal and state tax returns from abroad.
  • For Graduates, and those on Optional Practical Training - Jessica Haile sent you an email in early February detailing procesures for filing.  You can also visit the International Graduates page for more information.
Mandatory Federal and Stave Government Deadlines:

Each year current international students can expect details about filing taxes including the filing deadline from the International Student Adviser by email.  There is usually one standard dealine in mid-April.