An ESA is an animal that provides comfort or emotional support to its owner who has a documented medical, physical or mental health-related disability that substantially limits the person's ability to participate in one or more major life function. An ESA is not required to have any specific training. ESAs are different than Service Dogs (SD). If you are pursing a SD on campus, please visit here.

Questions? Email



All documentation must submitted by+ 

Notification of approval or denial*

August 10, 2020

Friday, August 13, 2020

October 1, 2020

Friday, October 9, 2020

January 1, 2021

Friday, January 8, 2021

March 1, 2021

Friday, March 12, 2021 

May 1, 2021

Friday, May 7, 2021

August 16, 2021

Friday, August 20, 2021

October 1, 2021

Friday, October 8, 2021

January 1, 2022 

Friday, January 7, 2022

March 1, 2022

Friday, March 4, 2022

May 1, 2022

Friday, May 6, 2022

*dates subject to change due to Covid-19, College calendar or other unforeseen events

+all documentation must be submitted to by the date above. Documentation received after this date will be reviewed in the following round of reviews.  

Due to COVID-19, all dates and documentation requirements are subject to change without notice. All ESA owners are expected to follow masking and social distancing guidelines while caring for their ESA outside of their own room (i.e. walking a dog). To avoid the possible spreading of COVID-19, no other person than the ESA owner should touch, pet, or otherwise handle an ESA.  In adherence to CDC guidelines, any person who tests positive or has to isolate or quarantine due to COVID-19 should also isolate from their pet. F&M reserves the right to ask students in isolation or quarantine to make arrangements for their ESA to be removed from campus. Please review CDC guidelines for pets and COVID-19 here.