Process for bringing a service animal to campus

If your animal is a trained service dog or miniature horse who can perform service tasks, you only need to be able to  answer two questions:

  1. Is this a service animal that is required because of a disability? And,

  2. What work or tasks has the animal been trained to perform?


If the service animal is not trained to perform service tasks but is an emotional support animal, then the student may request a reasonable accommodation in the form of an emotional support animal. In this case, the student’s Request for Exception must answer these two questions:

(1) Does the student (asking to live with the animal) have a disability — i.e., a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities?

(2) Does the student making the request have a disability-related need for an emotional support animal?

If you need further information about service animals and emotional support animals, here are some helpful links: 


If you would like academic or other accommodations, please contact the Office of Student Accessibility Services for further information.

***Please note that you do NOT need to be registered with the Office of Student Accessibility Services to have a service animal on campus. If you do contact us with regard to having a service animal, we will be happy to reach out to your professors to let them know there will be a service animal in class and to share our Service Dog Etiquette fact sheet.



If you have questions specific to F&M, please contact:

Amy Faust
Office of Student Accessibility Services
2nd floor College Square building