Another academic year comes to a close in just over a month! Students are finished for the semester when their last exam concludes (exams begin Tuesday, May 2, and end Saturday, May 6), and this year, Commencement occurs Saturday, May 13.
I know you are sending lots of love and encouragement to your student from home during these last, often stressful, weeks of the semester. If you would like to support him or her with additional fortification to get through this busy time, Dining Services has a fun gift site through which you can place an order for a gift basket full of your student's favorite studying treats.
All the best,
Professors’ Influence on Students and Alumni
You may have read a recent story on F&M’s website about an event last month that celebrated the careers and contributions of five retiring faculty members in the Department of Government (known by their students as "The Big Five"). I bring this article to your attention as one more example of why it is so critical for our students to develop mentors among the faculty here as these relationships often turn into lifelong, mutually beneficial friendships. Feel free to share this story with your students and encourage them to develop and nurture meaningful relationships with their own professors. Please enjoy this video that shares the legacy of these amazing teachers.
Commencement Weekend: May 12-13
The speakers and honorary award recipients have been announced, the weekend schedule has been finalized and (hopefully) senior parents’ accommodations are set! Please thoroughly read the Commencement website for answers to all of your questions. Senior parents: Be on the lookout next week for a special edition of the Parents Newsletter with further details.
In the meantime, if you or any of your guests require special parking and/or seating accommodations due to mobility issues, please contact Carole D’Ettorre in College Advancement (firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-358-5916) by Friday, April 28.
Recent Faculty Achievements and Scholarship
We're incredibly fortunate at Franklin & Marshall to have such a talented and dedicated faculty. Beyond their responsibilities as teachers, advisers and mentors, many professors are also engaged in groundbreaking research projects. Here are just a few examples of the work that our faculty members are currently pursuing and the great research opportunities they are creating for F&M students:
- Associate Professor Clara Moore, Department of Biology chair, is one of many professors across disciplines who is benefitting from F&M’s new laser scanning confocal microscope. It was acquired with a $400,000 National Science Foundation grant and delivered to F&M last fall. “This advances research across many fields on campus,” Moore said. “It’s for training the next generation of scientists.”
- Franklin & Marshall Associate Professor of Religious Studies John Modern will spend the 2018-19 academic year at the University of Pennsylvania, working on a research project funded by a prestigious fellowship he received from the American Council of Learned Societies. Modern’s project is “The Religion Machine,” a book about the brain as an information-processing device that is neither religious nor secular.
- Assistant Professor of Physics Amy Lytle recently received a $407,000 National Science Foundation CAREER Award, presented to faculty in early career development, which will support seven undergraduate summer scholars over the five-year course of the award. Three of her students have already contributed as co-authors on papers about her recent research project, which promises to provide applications for other types of research.
Upcoming Financial Aid Deadline
The deadline to apply for need-based financial aid during the 2017-2018 academic year is April 30. This process applies only to U.S. citizens and non-F-1-Visa students.
FAFSA, Profile and supporting materials must be electronically date-stamped no later than April 30. F&M utilizes the College Board’s IDOC service for collection of your supporting documentation, which must be sent to IDOC by April 30. For more information, visit F&M’s financial aid web page.
Summer Storage Information
Franklin & Marshall partners with an off-campus company to provide storage options to meet the needs of our students over the summer break. If your student could benefit from these services, please keep the following in mind:
- There is no limit to the quantity of items to be stored.
- Perishable items are not accepted.
- Students are not permitted to store items in College-owned buildings.
- We strongly recommend that students use standardized packing cartons, which will be available for sale this month at Ben's Underground. The uniform size of these cartons allows for the most efficient and cost-effective storage.
For a cost breakdown, forms and more information, visit this page.
Mind the Gap
Annual contributions from our parents, alumni and friends help make the Franklin & Marshall College experience possible. The support of our generous donors sustains and enhances the F&M student experience in myriad ways, from world-class research and learning opportunities, to outstanding faculty, co-curricular and athletic offerings, mental health and wellness support, technology and other campus resources.
Every year, the extraordinary education F&M offers each student actually costs more than just tuition and room and board fees. Every family, even those not receiving any financial aid, benefit from what some call a “silent scholarship” that covers the gap between tuition and the actual cost. Gifts from dedicated supporters like you fill the gap and impact the student experience directly.
We hope you will contribute to our ongoing success by making a gift to the Franklin & Marshall Fund today. We remain tremendously grateful for parent support.
F&M Night at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston
F&M Evening at the Dallas Museum of Art Featuring Classics Professor Ann Steiner
An Evening with Nilaja Sun ’96 and Her One-Woman Show,
F&M Day at the Minneapolis Institute of Art Featuring a Self-Guided Tour of the Guillermo del Toro Exhibit
F&M Day with the Philadelphia Phillies