This is the first F&M parents e-newsletter that the newest members of our F&Mily -- the parents and families of the Class of 2021 and new transfer students’ parents -- are receiving. Welcome! We cannot wait until your student arrives on campus next month, and we are eager to engage you with the College as well! New parents, please see below for ideas about how to get involved as a parent at F&M. And be sure to view this page for new students, which provides details important in your family’s planning for the upcoming transition.
And, returning parents, there are important stories included in here for you as well, so please read on.
All the best,
Attend a Welcome Party!
Each summer, we hold several regional Welcome Parties in areas where we have the greatest number of new students, current families and alumni. These fun events allow current members of our community to welcome our newest students and their families into the F&Mily, and for new families to make friends and ask questions about the next four years. New and returning families: Please join us for one of the events listed below!
- Lancaster, Pa. -- Thursday, July 20, 7 ‑ 9 p.m.
- New York City -- Sunday, July 23, 2 ‑ 4 p.m.
- Mamaroneck, N.Y. (Westchester County) -- Thursday, Aug. 3, 7 ‑ 9 p.m.
- Bernardsville, N.J. -- Sunday, Aug. 6, 2 ‑ 4 p.m.
- Sudbury, Mass. (Boston area) -- Monday, Aug. 7, 7 ‑ 9 p.m.
Welcome, New Parents!
At Franklin & Marshall, we embrace parents as key members of the community and encourage your involvement in ways that benefit all our students. Please consider the following opportunities and contact me with any questions.
- Get involved with the Office of Student and Post-Graduate Development (OSPGD), Franklin & Marshall’s resource for students as they prepare for graduate school and/or professional careers after college. Our students will benefit from your professional expertise and connections. Register on our “Launch a Diplomat” site today!
- Volunteer with the Office of Admission through the Franklin & Marshall Admission Network (FAN). In order to continue attracting the interest of excellent students on a global scale, our Admission office relies on parents and alumni to help spread the word about the College. Please consider joining by visiting the FAN website.
- Attend F&M events in your area and on campus. The College boasts 24 regional chapters -- throughout the U.S. and around the world -- that host a variety of social, networking and cultural occasions throughout the year. Parents are also welcome and encouraged to attend on- and off-campus events, especially Homecoming & Family Weekend each fall.
- Support Franklin & Marshall College with a tax-deductible donation each year by giving to the Franklin & Marshall Fund. As a private institution, F&M depends on the generosity of alumni, parents and friends to sustain every aspect of the student experience. Many parents join the Benjamin Franklin Society with an annual gift of $1,787 (in honor of our founding year) or more. If you'd like, gifts can be made in honor of your student, a favorite professor or staff member. Visit our giving site to learn about how to make a gift.
- Join the Franklin & Marshall College Parents Council, a group of prominent and influential parents of current F&M students. If you envision Franklin & Marshall becoming one of your top philanthropic priorities and would like to serve as an advocate for the mission of the College, the Parents Council would love to have your participation. The council meets twice each year on campus and discusses strategic matters of importance to the College’s success. Please contact me to let me know if you are interested in joining.
Plan to Attend Homecoming & Family Weekend, Oct. 20-22!
Make your hotel reservations now for our big fall weekend, when we welcome thousands of parents, families and alumni to enjoy a weekend of great events. Bookmark the Homecoming & Family Weekend website so you can check the schedule of events (which is now live!) regularly and see ongoing updates about plans and activities. This year’s Homecoming & Family Weekend will feature the opening of Shadek Stadium and its first football game. You won’t want to miss it!
Nine Fulbright Awards Among Fellowships Earned by F&M Students and Alumni
In case you missed this story published in May, I wanted to bring it to your attention because I am so proud of my alma mater and its support of this level of excellence among our students and alumni. Please read here about the 16 students and young alumni who received prestigious fellowships, including nine Fulbrights.
Three Videos Highlighting Members of the F&M Community
The College consistently produces compelling short films that spotlight various people and programs here on campus. Just for fun, and so you have the opportunity to hear some inspiring student and alumni stories, I’d like to bring your attention to three recent examples. One features a new graduate with a unique story; another features an ambitious rising senior; and another features the triumphant story of an illustrious alumna.
Fiscal Year 2017 Has Come to a Close -- Thank You for Your Support!
Fiscal Year 2017 ended June 30. To all parents and family members who made gifts to Franklin & Marshall in the past year, thank you. The ongoing support of our parents, alumni and friends is critical to ensuring that F&M continues to provide its signature, hands-on academic experience to talented students. Your contributions help sustain our legacy of excellence for generations. We remain forever grateful for your support.
President Daniel R. Porterfield, Ph.D., Reception in San Francisco
Summer of Spectacle & Fireworks and Fountains:
F&M Night at Longwood Gardens
Kennett Square, Pa.
F&M Night with the Lehigh Valley IronPigs
F&M London Dinner Hosted by Government Professor
F&M Night with the Hillsboro Hops