Welcome to the F&Mily! Here at Franklin & Marshall College, we embrace parents as key members of the community and encourage your involvement in ways that benefit all our students. Whether you are the parent of a first-year student or a senior, we cannot wait until your student arrives on campus later this month.
This is the parents e-newsletter, the monthly email specifically for parents of current students. Look for this newsletter on the first Thursday of every month, excluding July, while your student is enrolled at F&M. You should also receive Connections, the twice-monthly alumni and parent regional news and event e-newsletter, which will alert you to events happening in your regional alumni chapter. You are welcome to attend F&M events on campus or in your region.
Please consider the following opportunities available to parent volunteers:
- Get involved with the Office of Student and Post-Graduate Development (OSPGD), Franklin & Marshall’s resource for students as they prepare for graduate school and/or professional careers after college. Our students will benefit from your professional expertise and connections. Register on our “Launch a Diplomat” page today!
- Volunteer with the Office of Admission through the Franklin & Marshall Admission Network (FAN). In order to continue attracting the interest of excellent students on a global scale, our admission office relies on alumni and parents to help spread the word about F&M. Please consider joining by visiting the FAN website.
- Attend F&M events in your area and on campus. The College boasts regional chapters throughout the U.S. and around the world that host a variety of social, networking and cultural events throughout the year. Parents are also welcome and encouraged to attend on- and off-campus events, especially TRUE BLUE Weekend each fall. Read more about TRUE BLUE Weekend in the article below.
- Support Franklin & Marshall College with a tax-deductible donation each year by making a gift to the Franklin & Marshall Fund. F&M depends on the generosity of alumni, parents and friends to sustain every aspect of the student experience. A gift of any size truly makes an impact. Parents who are able are encouraged to join the Benjamin Franklin Society with an annual gift of $1,787 (in honor of our founding year) or more. Any gift can be made in honor of your student, or a favorite professor or staff member. Visit this page to learn more about the many ways to make a gift.
- Join the Franklin & Marshall College Parents Council, a group of prominent and influential parents of current F&M students. If you envision Franklin & Marshall becoming one of your top philanthropic priorities and would like to serve as a key supporter and advocate for the mission of the College, the Parents Council would love to have your participation. The Council meets twice each year on campus and discusses strategic matters of importance to the College’s success. Please contact Cynthia Gorman, associate vice president for college advancement, and let her know if you are interested in joining.
To explore more ways to get involved with the College, visit this page.
Move-In Day for new students is Saturday, Aug. 24. The information you need is or will be available on the F&M web site on the following pages:
- Move-In Day Schedule
- Directions for getting to F&M
- ID Photo Info (If your student hasn't completed this yet – it's due! Ask them to take care of it today!)
- Who to contact if you have questions
We're looking forward to seeing you and your student later this month!
TRUE BLUE Weekend is F&M's annual fall all-campus event, formerly known as Homecoming & Family Weekend. Now is the time to make your plans to return to campus! Greet President Altmann and your student's professors, participate in Homecoming activities, and connect with families, alumni, faculty and students. Registration will open very soon.
Make your hotel and transportation arrangements now and join us for an exciting weekend!
FALL BREAK will begin after classes on Friday, Oct. 4, and end at 8 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 9.
THANKSGIVING RECESS will begin after classes on Tuesday, Nov. 26, and end at 8 a.m. Monday, Dec. 2.
FINAL EXAMS for the fall semester will be held Wednesday, Dec. 11, through Sunday, Dec. 15, following "reading days" from Saturday, Dec. 7, through Tuesday, Dec. 10. Because final exams will not be moved to accommodate travel, travel arrangements for the semester break should not be scheduled for your student until after the final exam schedule is published in early October.
Interested in other dates? See the Academic Calendar on F&M's website.
Lancaster is a pedestrian-friendly city, but we understand that sometimes students want to travel to the mall, visit the grocery store or check out an off-campus art gallery. There are many different transportation options available to students.
Please check the Administrative Services page on F&M's website, and explore the "Transportation" options in the middle of the page.
Fiscal Year 2019 began July 1, 2018, and ended a little more than one month ago, on Sunday, June 30. In FY19, we inaugurated our new president, Barbara Altmann, and announced a new comprehensive effort for F&M, Now to Next, the Campaign for Franklin & Marshall College.
We are grateful to the many parent donors whose support, at all levels, contributes significantly to the College’s success. Meeting our fundraising goals has a direct, positive impact on the College’s ability to provide excellent opportunities to students -- it’s just that simple. Thank you for your gifts in FY19!
As we begin FY2020, we ask every parent to consider prioritizing F&M in their philanthropic planning. Your gift to the Franklin & Marshall Fund and other priorities at F&M makes a difference for all our students today and helps to enhance the value of your student’s diploma in the future. Visit this page to make your gift today.