Bringing a car to campus is a privilege, not a right. Franklin & Marshall excludes first-year students from bringing vehicles to campus or surrounding neighborhoods. All members of the faculty and professional staff who plan to operate a motor vehicle (including car, truck, motorcycle, moped or scooter) on campus, are required to register their vehicle. First year students who require a vehicle for official F&M purposes need special permission to register their vehicle. Students who bring and operate vehicles, do so at their own risk.
For rising sophomores, juniors and seniors, faculty and professional staff, the process will begin online through 'Inside F&M' under the 'My Info' tab. Once submitted , you may pick up your permit at the Diplomat Exchange, Steinman College Center, first floor Monday through Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Please show your state vehicle registration and College ID to receive the decal. Parking fines and appeals, bicycle registration, on campus parking areas, and general parking guidelines can also be found in our parking brochure. To submit an appeal, download the Parking Violation Appeal Form, complete it and return it to the Department of Public Safety within (5) days of receiving the violation notification. Appeals are reviewed and ruled upon by the Parking Review Board composed of a member of the Professional Staff and two students. Members of this committee shall remain anonymous. Public Safety presents the appeal but is not a voting member of the review board. The Board’s decision on an appeal is final.
Special Parking Requests
Visitor Parking Hang Tag
Guests requiring short-term parking should report to the Department of Public Safety when arriving on campus to obtain a temporary 'visitor parking pass' that should be displayed on the dashboard or rearview mirror of the vehicle. Guests are instructed to park in designated lots on campus.
Campus departments may also call Public Safety in advance and obtain parking passes for a specific date for distribution to guests.
All Departments on campus are encouraged to manage unfrequent visitor parking with their own 'guest' sandwich boards.
Parked Unattended Vehicles
When a vehicle is left parked and unattended on Franklin & Marshall property, a Vehicle Liability Waiver is required.
Please use the link below to download and complete this Waiver. It should then be presented to the Department of Public Safety.
Please direct any questions regarding special parking requests to Public Safety at 717-358-3939.
- Report all suspicious persons or vehicles around parking areas to the Department of Public Safety.
- Keep your vehicle locked and the winidows rolled up tightly.
- Never leave your vehicle running when unattended.
- When parking, choose a well-lit heavily traveled area.
- Packages, luggage, and other valuables should be locked in the trunk.
- Store electronics out of sight.
- Keep spare keys in your wallet or purse, not inside the vehicle where a thief can easily find them.
- Consider the installation of anti-theft devices such as alarm systems, hidden ignition or fuel 'kill' switches, steering column ignition switch protectors, or steering wheel to brake pedal bar caps.
- Keep a record of your vehicle identification number (VIN), registration plate number, and title certification number.