Satbir Malhi's Homepage
"By asking for the impossible, we obtain the best possible"
- Giovanni Niccolini
Satbir Malhi is a Visiting Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Franklin and Marshall College. He is also a 2019 MAA Project NExT (Silver dot) fellow.
Satbir completed his Ph.D. from the University of Kansas in 2019 under the supervision of Dr. Milena Stanislavova. His research interests range from the general study of partial differential equations with connection to C0-semigroup theory as well as functional, Fourier, and harmonic analysis. Recently, He has incorporated the study of numerical analysis into his research to make it accessible to our undergraduate students. An interesting article was written about his research presentation at Lafeyette College: Romance and Chaos in love affairs with Differential Calculus.
He is originally from Punjab, a state in Northern India, where he was raised in an agrarian community and worked as a farmer for the majority of his life. In his free time Satbir practices yoga and meditation, he also plays tennis as well as cricket.
His current teaching includes Math 229- Linear Algebra and Differential Equations and Math 109-Calculus. His teachings also can be found on his Youtube channel MathisLife.
- S. Malhi, F. Hadidfard, and Zhengyi Xiao. Approximation C0-semigroup of Fractional damped wave equations (under preparation)-Student collaboration
- S. Malhi, F. Hadidfard, and Zhengyi Xiao. A class of Finite-difference Methods for solving inhomogeneous damped wave equations (Submitted for journal publication)-Student collaboration
- S. Malhi and M. Stanislavova. Energy Decay Rates for the Fractional Klein-Gordon Equation with Periodic Damping, Mathematische Nachrichten 293.2 (2020): 363-375
- S. Malhi. Optimal Energy Decay for the Damped Klein-Gordon Equation, Ph.D. Thesis, 2019.
- S. Malhi and M. Stanislavova. When is the Energy of the 1D Damped Klein-Gordon Equation Decaying?, Mathematische Annalen 372.3-4 (2018): 1459-1479.
- S. Malhi. Multidimensional Generalization of Kolmogorov-Seliverstov-Plessner Test, Master thesis (2013)
- A class of numerical techniques to solve damped wave equations, Siena College, Loudonville, NY, OCT 19 2020. (Colloquium talk)
- Romance and Chaos in love affairs with Differential Calculus, Lafayette College, Easton, PA. Feb 2020. (Invited talk)
- A Note on the Resolvent Estimates of the Damped Wave Equation via Observability, Estimate 2019 SIAM Conference on Analysis of Partial Differential Equations, La Quinta, CA. Dec 2019. (Invited talk)
- The energy decay rate for the Klein-Gordon equation in dimension one. KUMUNU 2019 PDE, Dynamical Systems and Applications Conference, Missouri University, Columbia, MO. April 2019. (Invited talk)
- Polynomial energy decay rate of Fractional Klein-Gordon equation. The Eleventh IMACS International Conference on Nonlinear Evolution Equations and Wave Phenomena: Computation and Theory, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA, April 17-19 (2019), (Scheduled invited talk in a session on Evolution Equations and Integrable Systems)
- On the energy decay rates for the 1D damped fractional Klein-Gordon equation PDE Seminar, University of Nebraska, 30-Oct 2018, (Scheduled invited talk)
- The long time behavior of Energy norm of the Klein-Gordon Equation.Conference on Mathematics of Wave Phenomena, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany,22-27 July, (Contributed talk)