Office: Keiper 311
Semester: Spring 2017
- Tuesdays: 2:00-3:00 pm (Keiper 311)
- By appointment
Interim Director, The Phillips Museum of Art, 2014-
English Department Associate Chair, 2012-13, 2014-
Associate Dean of the Faculty, 2006-11
English Department Chair, 2005-06, 1996-97
Secretary of the Faculty, 2004-06
Assistant, Associate, and Professor of English, 1989-
Ph.D. British Literature with Medieval Studies Certificate, Indiana University, 1989
M.A. British Literature, Indiana University, 1986
A.B. English, Earlham College, 1982 (with highest honors, PBK)
English Renaissance Literature and Intellectual History; Early Modern Emblematics and Visual Culture; Edmund Spenser.
- ANQ: A Quarterly Journal of Short Articles, Notes, and Reviews, Emblematica, and Renaissance Quarterly, Reviewer
- John Donne Society, Executive Board
- Society for Emblem Studies, Representative to the Renaissance Society of America
"The Emblematic Handkerchief in Othello, and Its Untold Backstory," Imago 8 (2016): 61-75.
"Death is in the 'I' of the Beholder: Early Modern Emblems of Death" in Emblems of Death in the Early Modern Period, eds. Monica Calabritto and Peter Daly (Geneva: Droz, 2014), 59-95.
Grants & Awards
- "The Bible and Histories of Reading," Rare Book School, University of Pennsylvania, 2016
Medieval and Early Modern English Literature; Shakespeare; History of the Book; Historical Fiction