Adding events to the website and the daily events e-mail that is distributed to faculty, professional staff and students is a two-step process:
- First, reserve a space for your event using the reservation system.
- Once confirmed, use that reservation ID to add the event in the CMS.
Event title, date, time and location are managed in the reservation system. Edits to these pieces of information must be made in the reservation system.
Event descriptions, including sponsors, and images are added and managed in the “Events” tab of the website Content Management System (CMS).
Once an event is entered into the CMS, it will be displayed on our online College Events Calendar. These events will also be fed to system that generates our daily events e-mail. To display the events on one or more web pages, a one-time set up is needed on the given pages.
See below for detailed instructions.
Step 1: Reserve a Space for your Event on F&M’s Events Calendar
Step by step instructions to create a new reservation to include on the Calendar
Go to the reservation system at http://reservations.fandm.edu/
Log in using your NetID and password
From the Reservations menu, select Campus Space/Room Reservation
Fill out all the required fields necessary to make the reservation.
a. NOTE: the Start Time and End Time that you enter into a new reservation should be the time the event actually occurs. It should not include the time you require to set-up and tear-down for the event.
Next, go to the Details tab to add additional information about your event.
The Event Name is the title that will appear in the calendar. Title your event appropriately , with as few words as needed. In most cases, you should not include terms like F&M or weekly meeting.
Select an Event Type from the pulldown menu.
Please note: the Description field is NOT used when you create your calendar event on the website.
Answer Yes to the question, “Should this event be displayed on the College’s events calendar that is available publicly on the web?” (See screenshot below.)
10. If needed, identify the requisite time you need to do set-up and tear-down for your event.
Once your event space reservation has been confirmed, you will receive an email with the reservation ID. When you do, you can add this event to the website using the following instructions:
- Go to the bottom of any page on www.fandm.edu and click on the "CMS Login" link
- Log in using your F&M NetID and password
- On the top left of the screen, click on Events, and then select New Event from the drop-down menu
- In the pop-up window (modal), enter the reservation ID that you received from the reservation system confirming your event space reservation. See screen shot below.
- Next, go to the Content tab (see screen shot below).
- Add a thumbnail image. This image will be displayed on the calendar and events feeds. It will not appear in the event detail page. See the next step on how to add images to the event detail page.
- In the "body" field, use the "Add Content" button to add text descriptions and images.
- Finally, go to the "Publication" tab and add tags to your event. Start typing in the department, office or student organization name and select from the options that appear. NOTE: An event should have at least one tag, and this can be the event sponsor. Events may have multiple tags if appropriate.
- When done, click on the Add button on the top right to save your event on the website.
Display your Events on your Website
To display your upcoming events on your department, office or student organization page, follow the instructions below. This is a one-time set-up, after which events will automatically flow through.
- On the page where you want to display your event(s), identify the section in which you want to display these events.
- In that section, click on the Add Content button, and select Event.
- In the pop-up window (modal) that appears, select Event Tags from the "Add Event by" drop-down menu.
- In the next field within the modal, enter the tag(s) for your event. For example, if you want to display all events that are tagged Sustainability, enter that here. Multiple tags may be added if needed.
- In the last field of the modal, enter the number of events you want to display at any given time. For example, if you enter "5", the system will show the five upcoming events for that tag.
- Click on the Save Changes button.
NOTE: If there are no events with that tag, nothing will display on your page. Also, after an event is over, it automatically drops off the page.