Renting a College Vehicle
The Auxiliary Services department is responsible for the administration of the College-owned fleet of vehicles, all of which are available for lease by faculty, staff and student organizations. The following is a summary of the policies and procedures covering the operation of college vehicles:
No vehicle will be reserved and these procedures made valid until you have fulfilled all of the requirements of the Vehicle Management Policy.
Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00-4:00
Once you have met all of the requirements in the Vehicle Management Policy, College vehicles may be leased for College business only. There are NO exceptions.
How do I rent a vehicle?
- Before attempting to make a reservation, please make sure that you are an approved driver. To drive sedans and 7 passenger mini vans you must be approved through the Driver Application. Approval can take up to two weeks so please submit your college driver request ahead of time on Inside F&M under the "My Info" tab. In order to drive 12 passenger vans you must complete the Large Van Certification class. Please sign up for a 2-3 hour class using the form at the bottom of this page AFTER your Driver Application has been approved. Large Van Certification classes meet on the second floor of Martin Library.
- Anyone wishing to lease a vehicle may fill out the online Vehicle Reservation Request Form.
- Reservations must be submitted online at least 24 hours prior to the requested date.
- Upon receipt of the request, the Office of Auxiliary Services will verify that the listed driver is certified to drive a college vehicle and that he or she meets all required criteria. You must supply the name of the driver and account number to be charged before the reservation is confirmed. Failure to do so may result in your reservation being cancelled.
- The Office of Auxiliary Services has shuttle drivers available for hire. The cost is the mileage ($0.55/mile) plus the driver's salary ($12/hr between 7am and 9pm and $18/hr between 9pm and 7am). If a shuttle driver is required, please note that on your vehicle reservation. The requesting organization is responsible for making all arrangements for the drivers.
- In order to receive keys for your vehicle reservation, your group must turn in the printed vehicle reservation confirmation with the names, ID numbers, and signatures of all passengers traveling in each van. Keys may not be obtained with out the printed confirmation email and passenger list. If changes to the passenger list are made shortly befor departure, an email with these changes must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to follow this step could result in a loss of van privileges for your department.
Reservation requests will be considered based on the priority system outlined below:
- Academic Departments
- Athletics - provided that requests are received prior to the following deadlines:
- Fall Season : by August 1
- Spring Season: by January 30
- Administrative Offices
- Student Organizations and Clubs
Barring unforeseen circumstances, all reservations confirmed by the Transportation Coordinator are firm unless cancelled by the reserving party.
When do I pick up the vehicle?
- Keys to a reserved van are to be picked up at the Office of Auxiliary Services (1st floor of the Steinman College Center, in the Diplomat Exchange).
- Keys should be picked up prior to but no later than 12:00 pm of the reservation day, Monday through Friday.
- Should the departure time fall outside normal working hours, the reserving organization should make arrangements to pick up the vehicle keys prior to 12:00 pm of the work day preceding the trip.
- The vehicle may not leave the Alumni Sports and Fitness Center lot prior to the departure time indicated on the Vehicle Reservation Request Form and the trip log.
- Along with the van key, you may also be given a gas card, depending on the location of your destination. Keys and gas cards must be returned with the printed email reservation confirmation that the driver will use to record mileage. The driver will use this form to record the MILES AT START and MILES AT END of the trip.
- It is imperative that the vehicle mileage is filled out. If information is missing, an estimate will be used. The gas credit card is to be used for fuel and expenses for the vehicle only.
- An emergency assistance card can be found in the glove compartment of the vehicle, and is to be used in the case of a vehicle breakdown.
- Before departing, the authorized driver should make a quick inspection of the vehicle and note any problems on the trip log.
What do I do when I return the vehicle?
- When returning a college vehicle, all debris is to be removed and placed in the trash receptacle adjacent to the parking lot. Failure to do so will result in a fine. (See Charges and Fines)
- The completed mileage form, keys, and gas cards are to be placed in the KEY RETURN BOX which is located by the vehicles in the Alumni Sports and Fitness Center parking lot. There is a drop box for F&M materials and a separate drop box for Enterprise materials. When using college vehicles all materials should be returned to the F&M drop box. Be sure your beginning AND ending miles are filled in and that you have noted any problems you encountered with the vehicle. Make sure all doors are locked and all lights are out.
- If you are late in returning to campus and are concerned about safety, request an escort through the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 717.358.3939.
- Call DPS after 4:30 pm if the vehicle should be removed from travel immediately. Please see the Accident reporting policy for more information.
- Upon return, another inspection should be made and any new problems noted.
Do not keep a vehicle overnight without prior approval
Charges and Fines
- Removal of seats in the vehicles: $25.00 per seat
- Failure to notify the Office of Auxiliary Services of trip cancellation at least 24 hours prior to scheduled depart time: $25.00
- Failure to return vehicle on time: $25.00 + mileage
- Failure to return the mileage form/fill out mileage information: $25.00 + mileage
- Failure to remove all trash and debris from vehicle: $10.00 + mileage
- Failure to return gas card: $25.00 + mileage
- Failure to return keys: $200.00 + mileage
- If the vehicle has to be professionally cleaned: $60.00
- Monopolizing a van for 4 hours or more for a trip within a 10 mile radius that is not pre-authorized by the Transportation Coordinator : $30.00 + mileage
- A maximum fine of $100.00 + mileage may be issued if a department/group fails to adhere to standard vehicle rental procedures (such as not returning the van to the appropriate parking lot or if vans are left parked on city streets) or if multiple fines are issued during one rental period.
Should unavoidable delays be encountered during a trip which prohibit returning the vehicle on time, contact the Office of Auxiliary Services at 717.358.4426, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am-4:30 pm. At other times, please call the Department of Public Safety at 717.358.3939.
Please click here to fill out a Vehicle Reservation Request Form.
Club & Department Transportation Requests
We are happy to provide transportation for your department or club, whether it be back-and-forth transportation to an event, a group drop-off or pick-up from an airport, or some other request. Just request a F&M Shuttle driver on your van reservation request form.
- Please submit your request through reservations.fandm.edu at least two weeks prior to when it is needed.
- Please provide all relevant dates and times and the number of people that are to be transported.
- Please provide a Department account number to be charged.
- There is a $0.55/mile charge.
- Cost per Driver - $12/hr for any hours between 7AM and 9PM and $18/hr between 9PM and 7AM.
- $10 cell phone cost per driver per trip - The requestor coordinates the trip directly with the driver as well as communication during the trip.
If you have any questions, please contact the Auxiliary Services at 717-358-4426.
Renting from Enterprise
In the case that Auxiliary services does not have vehicles available, vehicle rentals will be taking place overnight and/or occuring for multiple consecutive dates, or if destinations are outside of a 125 mile radius students and faculty members will be asked to submit an Enterprise Rental request on the Reservations site at http://reservations.fandm.edu , assuming that the group has a certified driver and valid account number. Similar to the college vehicle rentals, keys for Enterprise rentals can be picked up at Auxiliary Services by 3pm on the date of your trip. Again, all groups must submit the printed vehicle reservation confirmation with the names, ID numbers, and signatures of all passengers traveling in each van. If changes to the passenger list are made shortly befor departure, an email with these changes must be sent to email@example.com. Failure to follow this step could result in a loss of van privileges for your department.
Pricing for Enterprise vehicles is based on a daily fee, not mileage. Car/sedan rentals cost $39 per day and minivan rentals cost $65 per day (prices are subject to change). Groups and departments will be responsible for fueling the vehicle (either return the vehicle filled or Enterprise will add the gas fee to your bill).
Use of personal vehicles for college-related business is not permitted.