Each year, the Writing Center awards Phyllis C. Whitesell Prizes to recognize excellent student writing in the General Education curriculum. One prize is awarded for writing in a course that fulfills the Connections 1 requirement. The second prize will to go an essay written in a Connections 2 course.
Writers who wish to enter the competition must revise their work for submission and, as part of that process, must work with a student Writing Assistant at the Writing Center on at least one occasion (which may be before or after the piece has been submitted for a grade).
Whitesell Prize winners each receive
- a $200 cash award
- and featured placement in the Writing Center's annual publication Best of the Whitesell Prize booklet
Honorable Mention essay writers each receive
- a $75 cash award
- and publication in the Best of the Whitesell Prize booklet
How To Submit
- Visit the Writing Center at least once to work on your essay.
- Email your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include a graded copy and prompt if available.
- After the deadline, we will send all contestants a release form to sign and return.
8Connections 1 Category
CNX1 submissions are due by 10:00 p.m. on December 17th, 2017.
In the Spring 2018 semester, the Center will notify finalists for the prize. Those writers will be given the opportunity to further refine their essays. The deadline for final submissions will be 4:30 p.m. on March 9, 2018.
Connections 1 submissions must have been written during the Fall 2017 or Spring 2016 semesters and cannot have been submitted for the previous year's Whitesell Competition.
Connections 2 Category
CNX2 Submissions are due by 12:00 p.m. on May 9th, 2018.
In the Fall 2018 semester, the Center will notify finalists for the prize. Those writers will be given opportunity to further refine their essays.
Connections 2 submissions must have been written during the Spring 2018 or Fall 2017 semesters and cannot have been submitted for the previous year's Whitesell Competition.