7/13/2015 David P. Schuyler

AMS Students Meet Governor, Mayor

• Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf and Leah Brenner '15 Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf and Leah Brenner '15
  • Clockwise from left: Lauren Muliawan '16, Frances Wolf, Marcus Brown '15, Erin Moyer '16 Clockwise from left: Lauren Muliawan '16, Frances Wolf, Marcus Brown '15, Erin Moyer '16
  • Governor Tom Wolf and Professor David Schuyler Governor Tom Wolf and Professor David Schuyler
  • Clockwise from left: Gail Gray, Lancaster Mayor Rick Gray, Shannon Ricchetti '16,  F&M President Dan Porterfield, Jessica Love '15 Clockwise from left: Gail Gray, Lancaster Mayor Rick Gray, Shannon Ricchetti '16, F&M President Dan Porterfield, Jessica Love '15

The only way I can describe April 3rd is that is was a serendipitous moment when all the planets aligned. I had originally intended to take my Urban Experience students on a walking tour of downtown Lancaster, and as it was First Friday sent a note to Frances Wolf, an alumnae and trustee, wondering if she and her husband, Tom, would like to join us on the walk and have dinner afterward.  The plans kept changing, but ultimately Frances and Tom decided that they could come to dinner at 6:00. So instead of a walking tour I hosted a dinner for my Frederick Law Olmsted’s America seminar. In addition to Governor Tom and trustee Frances, Rick Gray (mayor of Lancaster) and his wife, Gail, also a terrific artist, and Dan Porterfield joined the students.

The dinner was simple: lots of hors d'oeuvres, a farfalle with pesto (made from the basil in my garden) and sliced grilled chicken breasts, a large salad, and desserts prepared by Frances Wolf and Gail Gray (Schuyler has many talents, but baking is not among them).

The conversation that evening was amazing. The students were so surprised that they were engaging in casual conversation with the governor and the mayor, who were really listening to what they said, and the governor and Frances each wrote notes telling me how impressed they were with our students. So did Rick and Gail Gray.

I probably worked in the kitchen cleaning up until almost 3:00 a.m., but it was a memorable evening, and I am just delighted that it was so meaningful for our students.

Junior History, AMS Majors Invited to Apply for Andrew Award

All juniors majoring in History or American Studies are invited to apply for the John Andrew Award,...

2019 Rouse Scholars Find Empowerment in Their Endowment

Deliberate and self-assured, Lydia Shaw and Glory Jacquat, Franklin & Marshall College’s newest...

Greetings from the Department Chair 2019

AMS Dept. Chair Carla Willard recounts some of the successes of 2018-19 and looks forward to the...