F&M’s Faculty and Staff Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity Initiatives
Several initiatives to improve diversity, inclusion, and equity at F&M are underway in order to continue to offer an excellent liberal arts education. Faculty and staff are spearheading activies to recruit and retain faculty from diverse backgrounds and build facility in inclusive pedagogy across the disciplines. Our overarching goal is to effect broader cultural change to create an enviroment of inclusion and respect that permeates our campus community.
Some of our recent accomplishments include:
- Held unconscious bias workshops in 2016, 2017, and 2018 for all members of the hiring committees that lead faculty searches. We are now expanding this program to other offices, such as our admissions team.
- Created a mentoring program for all non-tenured faculty from groups that are underrepresented in the academy;
- Funded departmental curricular reviews for three departments, History, Public Health, and Business, Organizations, and Society;
- Held faculty workshops with external experts to discuss imbalances in college service activities (i.e., committee work, advising, and mentoring) at F&M, intentional mentoring, improved recruitment and hiring practices, and the racial and gendered implications of faculty service;
- Funded the the College’s first disability studies symposium and an All-Campus Forum on LGBTQ+ Life at F&M;
- Sent teams of faculty and staff to AAC&U meetings about high impact practices and inclusive pedagogies. To date, twelve faculty members have also attended conferences that addressed inclusion and equity in specific disciplines, such as Public Health, Sociology, Language and Literary Studies, STEM fields.
- Co-organized F&M’s first comprehensive campus climate assessment.
F&M On-Campus Resources for faculty and staff interested in diversity, inclusion, and equity include:
POC Faculty Staff Alliance