6/17/2015

Alumni Profile: Timothy Bourgaize Murray '10

• Timothy Bourgaize Murray '10 Timothy Bourgaize Murray '10
Winner of the Charles I. Landis Award, 2010
Editor, Incisive Media Ltd.

At first glance, working for a financial publication would seem a fair distance from the study of history, but the practical skills and thoughtfulness I gained from F&M History benefit me every day. First of all, contextualization is such a crucial skill for a journalist. The goal of any good story is to let a conflict and its characters speak — and that is exactly what history at F&M teaches you to do: not merely lay bare events as they happened (and are still happening), but to take a critical eye and lend a perspective into the motivations and pressures, constructs and consequences involved, too. Fittingly, the final paper I wrote at F&M was for a senior history seminar. And in a way, I've never actually stopped.

A close and very efficient eye for writing and methodically connecting ideas is incredibly important for an editor, as well; these were also defining features of my history courses. Finally, there is probably no better discipline than history to encourage curiosity about other cultures. The openness and worldliness of F&M's history faculty is absolutely unique, and whether completing my graduate study at London School of Economics or reporting from a number of other countries since my time in Lancaster, their influence is obvious and incredibly positive.

Editor's Note: Timothy Bourgaize Murray graduated in 2010 with a major in Government and minor in Area Studies (Islam & The West). He won the History Department's Charles I. Landis Award in 2010 for writing the best essay on an assigned topic in history. Like many government majors at F&M, Tim took several history courses, including the senior seminar for which he wrote his award-winning essay. 

"The practical skills and thoughtfulness I gained from F&M History benefit me every day."
Timothy Bourgaize Murray '10

Articles by Tim Murray

Many of Tim's articles are available online. Here are links to a pair of profiles Tim wrote while in Europe in 2013 — as reported from history hotbeds Warsaw and Prague — as well as a more traditional mini-feature about private equity. 

Mueller Fellow Tells Stories to Illustrate Immigration...

Sandra Cisneros, a dual citizen of the United States and Mexico and a noted author and activist,...

Three Alumni Discuss 1969 Protest, Racial Consciousness at F&M

Benjamin Bowser ’69, Adrian Lamos Jr. ’72 and LeRoy Pernell ’71 never looked back when they...

Civil Discourse in Our Uncivil Age

For his Sept. 26 Common Hour topic, “Millennials and the Future of Civil Discourse,” Alexander...