8/03/2015

Alumni Profile: Yiran Zhou '10

• Yiran Zhou '10 Yiran Zhou '10
History Major, 2010
Freelance Director, Cinematographer / MFA Student, UCLA

Arriving at F&M nine years ago from China, knowing absolutely nothing about what I wanted to do, I simply went with what I was interested in, history. Over the next few years, the F&M history department taught me far more than just the course of history. The recurring process of writing, re-writing, reading, re-reading and, most importantly, thinking and re-thinking offered me a solid foundation for whatever field I might go into in the future. In my junior year, I discovered my passion for filmmaking, and my education in history and the humanities in general strongly influenced the kind of film stories that intrigue me.

After graduation from F&M, I moved back to Beijing and started working as a freelance director and cinematographer. My analytical and critical thinking skills provided me a big advantage in this highly competitive field. In 2014, I began studies for my MFA degree in film directing at UCLA, one of the most prestigious film schools in the world. What I learned in the F&M history department is still helping me tremendously to this day.

Yiran Zhou '10 at work behind the lens:

• Yiran Zhou '10
  • Yiran Zhou '10 at work.
  • Yiran Zhou '10 behind the lens.

Mueller Fellow Tells Stories to Illustrate Immigration...

Sandra Cisneros, a dual citizen of the United States and Mexico and a noted author and activist,...

Three Alumni Discuss 1969 Protest, Racial Consciousness at F&M

Benjamin Bowser ’69, Adrian Lamos Jr. ’72 and LeRoy Pernell ’71 never looked back when they...

Civil Discourse in Our Uncivil Age

For his Sept. 26 Common Hour topic, “Millennials and the Future of Civil Discourse,” Alexander...