8/03/2015

Alumni Profile: Yiran Zhou '10

• Yiran Zhou '10 Yiran Zhou '10
History Major, 2010
Freelance Director, Cinematographer / MFA Student, UCLA

Arriving at F&M nine years ago from China, knowing absolutely nothing about what I wanted to do, I simply went with what I was interested in, history. Over the next few years, the F&M history department taught me far more than just the course of history. The recurring process of writing, re-writing, reading, re-reading and, most importantly, thinking and re-thinking offered me a solid foundation for whatever field I might go into in the future. In my junior year, I discovered my passion for filmmaking, and my education in history and the humanities in general strongly influenced the kind of film stories that intrigue me.

After graduation from F&M, I moved back to Beijing and started working as a freelance director and cinematographer. My analytical and critical thinking skills provided me a big advantage in this highly competitive field. In 2014, I began studies for my MFA degree in film directing at UCLA, one of the most prestigious film schools in the world. What I learned in the F&M history department is still helping me tremendously to this day.

Yiran Zhou '10 at work behind the lens:

• Yiran Zhou '10
  • Yiran Zhou '10 at work.
  • Yiran Zhou '10 behind the lens.

Junior History, AMS Majors Invited to Apply for Andrew Award

All juniors majoring in History or American Studies are invited to apply for the John Andrew Award,...

History Dept. Invites Submissions for Landis Award 2020

The History Dept. invites students to submit papers for consideration for the Landis Award,...

Mueller Fellow Tells Stories to Illustrate Immigration...

Sandra Cisneros, a dual citizen of the United States and Mexico and a noted author and activist,...